Moving tank want to save the live sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Choate515

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
About to move a 1 year established 65 gal reef tank. Question I have read that you should not reuse the sand without first washing it or replacing it. Apprx 100# so I really do not want to re buy it. What are my options?

Separate the sand in sections and you can go the extra mile by separating by layer/depth. To avoid an ammonia spike I would either gravel vacuum the sand after placing it in the tank, pre-rinse it all in saltwater, or both.

Separate the sand in sections and you can go the extra mile by separating by layer/depth. To avoid an ammonia spike I would either gravel vacuum the sand after placing it in the tank, pre-rinse it all in saltwater, or both.

Ok thanks, question:
The move will be apprx 40 miles so from when I bag the fish and coral to the time I can put them back into a functioning tank will be be 2 to 4 hours.

If I go with the pre-rinse option what would the process be? The sand is fine grain.

I am a new guy and will be moving an existing set up with all the perils that involves.

I would rinse the heck out of the sand and then toss it and buy new. Just kidding.

Rinse, rinse, rinse and then rinse again. You want to get as much of the junk out of the sand as you can. This can be done in 5g buckets or any other kind of container.

Personally I would buy new sand though.

Process:

1. Fine mesh strainer.
2. Rinse 50%-100% of sand with satwater in strainer.
3. Place sand in tank.
4. Gravel vacuum sandbed.
5. Use a filter sock, mechanical filtration, protein skimmer, or something to catch excess debris.
6. Add carbon.
7. Monitor NH3 and perform water changes (gravel vacuum) when necessary.

Will I have time to do the pre-rinse while the coral and fish are bagged?
Will the resulting water be good enough not to harm the fish and coral, I assume it will be cloudy? There is a wet dry and skimmer.

If I have to budget another $300 for new sand that makes the project questionable.

Again thanks

$300 for sand? Wow.

Petsmart in my area sells 30lb bags of Aragonite sand for $17.99. I just picked up another bag yesterday.

The Aragonite sand is what a fairly good portion of folks in this hobby use in their reef tanks. I is considered "reef" sand I've been using this kind of sand for the 3 years I've been in the hobby and I'm using it because it came highly recommended!

The Aragonite sand is what a fairly good portion of folks in this hobby use in their reef tanks. I is considered "reef" sand I've been using this kind of sand for the 3 years I've been in the hobby and I'm using it because it came highly recommended!

Ok sorry if I am pesky about this but considering we will be moving an existing stable tank, will adding new sand during the move cause problems?

Not as many problems as using the old sand will. There are bacteria colonies in that established sand that can not be exposed to O2, if they are it becomes a toxic environment. The live rock in the system will seed the new sand you put in the tank.

You will understand what I'm talking about when you get down to the last couple inches of water in the tank and start to smell the sand.

Back
Top Bottom