Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2006, 10:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Moving to a new tank

I currently have a 26 Gal tank and am in the process of setting up a 75 Gal. What is the best way to move the contents of my 26 to the 75? I am thinking of doing it this way....setup the new tank as you would any new tank cycle with new LR and a shrimp if needed. Wait till the cycle finishes and then move my current LR from my 26 to my 75 then acclimate my fish and corls as I normally do. I do a slow drip method for acclimation.

Is there a better way to do this? is it possible to not have to cycle my new tank if I use everything from the 26? I figure the new tank is too much bigger then my old one so that would not be possible. I was also thinking of leaving my 26 setup as a QT as I will be adding new fish to the bigger tank.

What do you all think?

Old 07-01-2006, 02:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ya sounds good..if you have cured live rock tho you prolly wont even see a cycle, and if you do it should only be a couple days or so.

as far as not cycleing and just adding the stuff from the 26, i'd say no because theres' proly just not enough stuff, unless you somehow crammed 80 lbs of live rock in the 26, in wich case you'd have a broken tank lol.
And i would say the 26 as a qt tank is a great idea. you could just leave it how it is, unless you really wanted that rock in the new tank, like if money is an issue (like it is for most) then i'd prolly move the rock too.

and as for aclimating the fish you could try to get the parameters of the new tank exactly what they are in the old tank, that way you might be able to just switch them over.

Old 07-01-2006, 01:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I do want to move the rock over to the new tank, and most of the sand as well. I will probably pick up a few pieces of PVC tube to put in the 26 when it is a QT tank. Yes it is my plan to get the parameters of the new tank the same as the old so I may just move them over like you suggested.

I was thinking of buying some base rock and some cured LR from my LFS and add my LR from the 26 so you are right I may not have much of a cycle.

My current fish load would not be much of a boi load on the 75 so I probably will be ok with the shorter cycle.

Thanks for the input....
Old 07-01-2006, 03:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ya thats true, you wont have much of a load on the tank so you should be fine...jsut dont add much else too soon.

Tags
moving, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com