Moving to salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canucksfan1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was thinking of sonverting my ten gallon tank to sat water someday i was wondering what advice you guys have for me, and what equipment i would nee as of right now it just has dual incandesent bulbs in the hood, an ac mini HOB filter and underground filter. Any advice you guys have would be awsome!

first piece of advice I would give is...get a bigger tank. Nano's are really to difficult IMO, to be considered a starter tank.

what size tank would u advise i could possibly do a 29 in a few months when i get the tank back so with that same question applies

a 29 would be ok. If you do not want corals, then stock lighting is just fine. You would not want to use a UGF in a salt tank. A larger Aquaclear would do well as the filtration..

All that being said, now would be the time to start thinking of what types of things you want in the tank. When you have somewhat of an idea, we can help you fine tune it a bit.

I agree with Hara....go with the 29 you will be much happier and there are more options as to what you can do with it!

K well if i use the 29 then i have a whisper 50 HOB filter for it and i can use a flouresent tube for lighting um what type of light should i get for corals and what type of fish should would you guys put in a tank that size i do like clown fish but have just been lookin into it so maybe i will change my mind who nows any ideas???

As far as what fish you could have Click on the one that says minimum 30 gallon and you`ll see alot of choices.

http://www.fantasyreef.com/database/index.php?p=getdb&db_id=7

As far as filtration, My choice is LR and a skimmer. Biological filtration IMO is best. I agree with the others that a 10 gallon tank is not the best option esp. to a starter. 29 or bigger is the way to go. Just remember that the bigger the more forgiving your tank will be to mistakes and less than perfect water conditions. I hope all goes well

So if i do go wiht LR and a skimmer what else would i need besides the tank and eventually fish??
Also how much LR to use if i go with my 29 gallon

So if i do go wiht LR and a skimmer what else would i need besides the tank
Not much. Probably just a power head for some surface agitation until you get coral, then you may need a second. That will aid the gas exchange, and help keep the PH up. It will also prevent scum from accumulating at the surface.
Also how much LR to use if i go with my 29 gallon
45lbs or more would be best. Using base rock along with LR will save you some money. The base rock will be seeded by the LR and become "live" with a little time.
what type of light should i get for corals
Depends on what you want to keep. The general rule of thumb for a reef is 3-5 wpg or more. Two 24" VHO's would give you 150 watts and allow for many types of coral. VHO retro-kits are fairly inexpensive if you want to DIY. HTH

Back
Top Bottom