Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-06-2015, 03:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Moving Up!

Hello!! I need advice on how I move my 55 gallon established tank into a 90 gallon tank? What and how do I move it over? I will be setting up the 90 on a different stand but in the same place in the room! PLEASE Help with any advice before I take the plunge!! Thanks!!

sparry67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
First drain the water from the current tank an place it in a tub big enough to hold your live stock and some if not most of your live rock. You'll want to keep as much as the rock submerged.
Next drain the rest of the tank, of water, while doing this remove the filter and try to keep media wet. I usally pull it out an place it one w ziplock bag with water.
Now start scooping out the sand in the bottom as I don't recommend keeping the old sand as it has other nutrients an such that can cause spikes in the new tank

Once everything is done cart the old tank out then the stand an proceed to set up the new tank as you did your 55

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
I'd suggest basically the same thing, using the old tank water to hold the established rock. Once the tank is drained, remove any sand and pitch it to prevent any excess food/poop from being brought into the new system.
Once it is light enough to be removed, do so. Take it outside and hose down to clean out at your leisure.
Before putting the rock into the new tank with the fresh water, dunk it in the tank water and even give it a light scrub if you want to to further prevent any nutrient sinks from coming into the new system. You can then add the sand into the system using a piece of PVC to help avoiding any sandstorms.
Once everything is settled toss in the livestock and enjoy.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com