Mr Pillow Returns - 40B Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cycling is the greatest :nono:

I got my new hoses on today - originally I had just used black vinyl tubing but I replaced it with some of this stuff -

Product Listing Black-No-Kink-PondFlex-Rolls

Pretty cheap by the foot, and I definitely like it better than the vinyl. It is darn near impossible to kink or deform and handles curves great.

Skimmer is producing some gunk but is still very unstable - bubble production changes from tons to nothing for no apparent reason. Give it time, give it time...

Cycle is drawing to a conclusion so I put in an order with the LFS today for -

- 1x fuzzy dwarf lion
- 2x snowflake clown
- 3x banggai cardinalfish

Should be swimming in livestock by the coming weekend :)

I wouldnt add all of those fish in one weekend....

I would add them all in about 2 months.

Their metabolic wastes, especially if feedings are kept low and certain individuals (*cough* lion *cough*) are not entirely prone to feeding immediately following introduction, should be far below the levels that my bio-filter is capable of processing.

They are all still going to poop even if they arent fed right when they are added to your tank. Im sure you will feed and if the fish is stressed the food might not be eaten, just adding ammonia to a very fragile system. Even if you can get away without a spike, why add every single one of your fish in one weekend? Doesnt that ruin the fun of stocking a tank?

Autumnsky said:
Following...I love the look of the black with the white rock. SW noob here, is dry rock also live but dry?

If its dry it's dead. The stuff that lives on live rock has to have saltwater to survive.

Cycle is look good and the excitement is growing for my fish to arrive :) Speaking in the longer term, I have been eyeballing some fairy wrasses on LA, perhaps an attempt at the ill-fated Dragonet, as well as a slick looking Daum's Reef Lobster.

Will definitely put some pictures up when the new tenants move in ;)

MrPillow said:
Cycle is look good and the excitement is growing for my fish to arrive :) Speaking in the longer term, I have been eyeballing some fairy wrasses on LA, perhaps an attempt at the ill-fated Dragonet, as well as a slick looking Daum's Reef Lobster.

Will definitely put some pictures up when the new tenants move in ;)

Awesome! Can't wait to see the little boogers!

Which brand of black sand is that? The
Of so any soft belly bottom dwellers wouldn't be a good idea. Due to the black sand is actually volcanic glass which is really coarse. Sand sifters such as gobies, sea stars, jaw fish etc. could be harmed by the substrate.

Dwarf lion and banggais.... Make sure the cardinals are big otherwise they are lion food. I would caution against the trio of banggais too. Sure the are fine as juveniles but once they hit sexual maturity, if they are not pairs they will not get along so well.

Maybe you've got more experience than I do but this is all from my first hand knowledge. I lost my juvenile cardinals to my fuzzy dwarf. And lost 1 when trying to pair a couple. The one was intimidated into hiding in the corner of the tank and shredded by the dominate female while I was at work. Once I figured out how to get a pair they even reproduced and now have a tank of babies I'm growing out.

Sanders, it is "PetCO" brand black sand - thanks for the heads up on that, it is my first time using it and would not have considered the difference!

Coffee, on the LFS list I requested a lion at 1.5-2" and cardinals at 1.5-2" so they should be safe, especially from a fuzzy. I requested a trio so that I can choose the best two of the three - I have no paid for the fish yet merely had the LFS order them in so I can examine, no obligation to bring them home yet :)

Good for you man. I hate that I had to learn the hard way. Wish I had your foresight. I'm anxious to grow my little cardinals out so i can safely add them to my tank with my fuzzy

The LFS called to say my fish had come in today. I went in to examine - the clowns were too small. The cardinals looked nice but when I saw this guy I just couldn't resist :lol: The lion is hiding as best he can, he comes out every once in awhile to look around and then goes right back into his little cave.

IMG_96541-vi.jpg

IMG_96471-vi.jpg

The angel is very active exploring all corners of the tank and following me across the glass. He is about 2" and the lion about 2.5".

Off to a good start :)

Yeah, that's a beautiful angel. :) Have never seen one in person, only on Internet sites. Lucky find!!

Back
Top Bottom