Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2012, 03:23 AM   #71
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Got home to a nice big package waiting at my door today

Love it so far, the picture is just with both channels at 100%, and the blue at 8% for the moonlights. For midday I am currently running around 75% white, 100% blue. Haven't mounted the driver in my stand yet, it's just sitting on my water can The lights have a great shimmer and output, and the unit is very slick overall. Easy to program and low profile to boot Very different look from the T5s it is replacing but so far I am enjoying it! I am toying with the idea of suspending from the ceiling to get a little more dispersion and coverage. Will update more as time goes by.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #72
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Looks great! Careful on the intensities. I nuked a lot of coral early on with my LEDs.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That light looks so awesome..wow!!

Ya, when you add coral definitly start low. Very low, like 10%. Its better for them to not have enough light, rather than burn them quickly with too much!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Time for another fun update from MrP. Got the lights hung today, looks very clean. Here are a few examples of the LEDs -

My current midday setting - 80% white, 75% blue

100% white -

100% blue -

Here is a short video of the hamlet eating some NLS 3mm pellets. You'll have to excuse the quality, it was shot with my phone. Once I sell my camera body and get a new one in I'll try to get up some higher quality videos

Barred Hamlet Eating - YouTube

And a longer one of the lion doing his thing, eating some AquaDine pellets - this was taken under the old T5 lights, and before the hamlet was around.

Lionfish1 - YouTube

With some tasteful background music

Enjoy.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #75
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Very nice.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

Beautiful lights! I love LEDs. Looks so good!
Old 10-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Just finished up this video of my tank and all it's inhabitants as of today. Was a slow weekend

Enjoy

40b Mini Predator Tank - YouTube
Old 11-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How's the tank comin? Contemplated buying a fuzzy dwarf yesterday and thought about your build
Old 11-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

I forgot about this thread

I am out of town currently but will return tomorrow maybe with some updated pictures. Let me try and see what has happened since the last update...

Hypo treating for ich went well. After 6 weeks the tank is now almost back up to normal salinity. I will be bringing it up the rest of the way over the next few days, and adding some corals here in the next week or so.

During hypo the lack of proper skimmer function caused a bit of hair algae growth in the display tank, but now that the skimmer has kicked back in things are clearing up. I have also added a small screened Algae Scrubber in the sump which is starting to pick up and grow some good green algae. It has been running for about two weeks.

The hamlet is being a bit of an annoyance, it would appear to be terrified of people an often smashes itself on rocks/glass trying to flee when I approach or work in the tank. He is still eating and for the most part appears fine. He has incurred some sort of physical trauma to the spine and front edge of his anal fin, I suspect it was scrapped/ripped off on a rock. Part of the fin appears dead. It is neither improving or getting worse, perhaps scarred over by this point.

We will see.

All fish now eating NLS pellets rather reliably.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Boy oh boy has it been awhile since I updated this! Much has happened in the time past and many new pictures await

Hypo has been a thing of the past for a few weeks now - all fish looking, acting, eating fine on NLS 6mm pellets. The algae issue from the hypo has been for the most part resolved, although there are still a few tufts sprouting up here and there on the topmost rock I am working to eradicate.

Lion showing off his chompers -

I was finally able to get a good look and diagnose the hamlet with good ol' lymphocyctis which has cleared up nicely on it's own. He is still being somewhat reclusive, but is out far more now and readily comes out for feeding.

Algae scrubber is slowly but surely growing things. The growth is not at all very even but at this point I have been too busy to spend much time fiddling with it. I plan to get smaller reflectors to help concentrate the light and see what happens. At least it is doing something for now?

Today I got my first shipment of corals from PacificEast Aquaculture consiting of a large green-tip birdsnest, a small pink birdsnest, a lime-tip torch, a rock with some alveoporas, green clove polyps and some green star polyps. Everything has been placed and seems to be doing well. The clove polyps haven't opened, and the GSP is position next to the rear wall to hopefully grow over it in time.

Finally an updated full tank shot. Unfortunately the hamlet did not feel like complying with photo time so he is MIA.

Tags
build, build thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com