Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #101
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok guys been bouncing the thought around for a while now and would like some input. Originally I was plugging all these systems into one and not adding anymore fish to keep the Bioload at a bare minimum but I've decided that I wouldn't mind one maybe two fish per frag tank. I was thinking another rainfords goby cause I love the one I already have but wouldn't kind hearing some other ideas. I'm wanting something that'll stay small, preferably something that grazes, and obviously colorful. Also needless to say it MUST be completely reef safe lol.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:37 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rainfords are one of my top favorite fish period, so you have my wholehearted support on that one. Maybe after it's been up for a good while you can consider a dragonette. Without competition it should do well in a frag tank the size you're packin. The best fish, and one of the longest lived I've kept was a cleaner wrasse. Again, hard to keep but well worth the effort partly because, as cleaners, they have no natural enemies and have no problem trying to clean off your hand whenever they get the chance. So interactive!

Old 02-16-2013, 11:37 PM   #103
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
Ok guys been bouncing the thought around for a while now and would like some input. Originally I was plugging all these systems into one and not adding anymore fish to keep the Bioload at a bare minimum but I've decided that I wouldn't mind one maybe two fish per frag tank. I was thinking another rainfords goby cause I love the one I already have but wouldn't kind hearing some other ideas. I'm wanting something that'll stay small, preferably something that grazes, and obviously colorful. Also needless to say it MUST be completely reef safe lol.
I think a couple fish are a good idea. Some movement is slways nice and adding a little livestock that can also do a job like a Lawnmower Blenny to help keep algae down, for example IMO is a good idea.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya a lawnmower blenny was close behind the rainfords goby on my list. Only thing that might make it first is its appetite his vastly greater then the rainfords goby but I don't see algae being much of an issue here. I'm really not to worried about adding movement to the tank since honestly if it wasn't for my GF my reef tank would have had 0 fish in it lmao. I just love the corals hence 8' of frag tank lol. These tanks are most likely gonna be bare bottom or less then .5" of sand as well so keep that in mind. The wrasse is somethingjg I've been wanting since day one of my 46 but like that tank these will also be open top and I've had my fair share of carpet surfers (fw and sw) so ill pass for now sadly : /
Old 02-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #105
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Indigo dotty back!
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #106
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Indigo dotty back!
That's not to bad of an idea. Maybe a different color variant.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #107
Aquarium Advice Addict

Probably gonna look like a bunch of jibberish to you guys lmao but I usually do a rough sketch of my plan before doing it to try and avoid any hiccups that may occur. Here's the plan minus a few misc things to give you an idea of what's in my head lol. I've got about 80% of what I need so nearly there

Edit* don't know what happened there V V lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130217_201557.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	152932   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130217_201659.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	152933  

Old 02-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #108
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of lights are you going to use? There's some real nice par38's on eBay right now. I think you get 2 for $90.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice Addict

For refugium lights? I'm just gonna go with some cheap CFLs. They've worked great for me so far so ill stick with them.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #110
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
For refugium lights? I'm just gonna go with some cheap CFLs. They've worked great for me so far so ill stick with them.
The lights for growing the coral. You're have said previously but I don't remember.

Tags
build, frag, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com