MRC's Frag Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok guys been bouncing the thought around for a while now and would like some input. Originally I was plugging all these systems into one and not adding anymore fish to keep the Bioload at a bare minimum but I've decided that I wouldn't mind one maybe two fish per frag tank. I was thinking another rainfords goby cause I love the one I already have but wouldn't kind hearing some other ideas. I'm wanting something that'll stay small, preferably something that grazes, and obviously colorful. Also needless to say it MUST be completely reef safe lol.

Rainfords are one of my top favorite fish period, so you have my wholehearted support on that one. Maybe after it's been up for a good while you can consider a dragonette. Without competition it should do well in a frag tank the size you're packin. The best fish, and one of the longest lived I've kept was a cleaner wrasse. Again, hard to keep but well worth the effort partly because, as cleaners, they have no natural enemies and have no problem trying to clean off your hand whenever they get the chance. So interactive!

Ok guys been bouncing the thought around for a while now and would like some input. Originally I was plugging all these systems into one and not adding anymore fish to keep the Bioload at a bare minimum but I've decided that I wouldn't mind one maybe two fish per frag tank. I was thinking another rainfords goby cause I love the one I already have but wouldn't kind hearing some other ideas. I'm wanting something that'll stay small, preferably something that grazes, and obviously colorful. Also needless to say it MUST be completely reef safe lol.

I think a couple fish are a good idea. Some movement is slways nice and adding a little livestock that can also do a job like a Lawnmower Blenny to help keep algae down, for example IMO is a good idea.

Ya a lawnmower blenny was close behind the rainfords goby on my list. Only thing that might make it first is its appetite his vastly greater then the rainfords goby but I don't see algae being much of an issue here. I'm really not to worried about adding movement to the tank since honestly if it wasn't for my GF my reef tank would have had 0 fish in it lmao. I just love the corals hence 8' of frag tank lol. These tanks are most likely gonna be bare bottom or less then .5" of sand as well so keep that in mind. The wrasse is somethingjg I've been wanting since day one of my 46 but like that tank these will also be open top and I've had my fair share of carpet surfers (fw and sw) so ill pass for now sadly : /

Probably gonna look like a bunch of jibberish to you guys lmao but I usually do a rough sketch of my plan before doing it to try and avoid any hiccups that may occur. Here's the plan minus a few misc things to give you an idea of what's in my head lol. I've got about 80% of what I need so nearly there :)

Edit* don't know what happened there V V lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130217_201557.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130217_201557.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 104
  • ForumRunner_20130217_201659.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130217_201659.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 70
What kind of lights are you going to use? There's some real nice par38's on eBay right now. I think you get 2 for $90.

For refugium lights? I'm just gonna go with some cheap CFLs. They've worked great for me so far so ill stick with them.

I have 3x 175w MH Hamilton pendants. The plan was to do 4 (2per tank) but after thinking about it, if I off set the 3rd slightly away from the other 2 in the middle of the other tank then the darkest spots should be perfect for some softies and NPS.

I have 3x 175w MH Hamilton pendants. The plan was to do 4 (2per tank) but after thinking about it, if I off set the 3rd slightly away from the other 2 in the middle of the other tank then the darkest spots should be perfect for some softies and NPS.

Oh nice! You'll be growing things like crazy!

Are you going to have float control switches on the return pumps? The only issue I see is if a snail gets into a drain on one of the tanks and reduces its output to the sump system but the return keeps going. Could lead to an overflow of that tank. Of course you may have already figured for that with a good screen on the overflows.

The overflows will all have strainers and the frag tanks aren't gonna have all that much in them to begin with other then coral. Plus my overflow should be able to handle upwards of 3x what my return can do so I could have an entire overflow blocked as long as the other is flowing ill be ok. Which if I don't find a clog in that kind of time frame shame on me lol.

Well, I moved lol. That was fun. I'm still getting everything straightened back up but I'm still making some sales here and there out of my 46. Been cutting more frags and looking for more corals but as for the frag tanks I haven't made any progress on them since the last post unfortunately. I'm gonna be running a water line into the new room to make everything easier next. From there ill probably start setting up the plumbing for the sumps and returns.

Well, I moved lol. That was fun. I'm still getting everything straightened back up but I'm still making some sales here and there out of my 46. Been cutting more frags and looking for more corals but as for the frag tanks I haven't made any progress on them since the last post unfortunately. I'm gonna be running a water line into the new room to make everything easier next. From there ill probably start setting up the plumbing for the sumps and returns.

Congrats on moving! I don't like moving. Lol!

Back
Top Bottom