MRC's Frag Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrc8858

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok well figure ill open up a seperate thread from my 46 thread since I'm gonna have some questions along the way for this setup I already know it lol. For those of you that dont know I just picked up 2- 4'x2'x8" acrylic frag tanks with dual 1' overflows. I'll putting a top on my stand tomorrow so ill have them in place sometime around then. The original idea was just to plumb into my 46 but im starting to like the idea of just doing an entirely New system. What do you guys think?

Well while waiting for some opinions on the first post ill see what you guys think of this as well. I've got two of these tanks which obviously will take a LOT of pieces to fill up. So my thoughts were maybe just dedicate one tank to frags and start a nem propogation tank. Any thoughts?

Here they are on the stand. Gotta flip flop my room still though... This should be fun lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130124_182947.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130124_182947.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 159
Bottom shelf is cut and in place. Next step will be setting up the plumbing and sump/fuge.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130124_225351.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130124_225351.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 141
Not much activity here.... Well curious since I've never owned an acrylic tank, for those of you that have do you think I should have a piece of foam board under the tanks?

There isn't a need to put anything under the tanks, it'll be fine. My acrylic tank did t get scratched up by not having anything under it. Only thing that might have scratched it was the shifting of the live rock inside it, but either way its on the bottom under sand in my case.

I meant more for leveling. I've heard that even the slightest gap somewhere could cause a seam to pop and with these being used and about 6-7 yrs old already I'd like to take every precaution possible.

Well I've heard a few people say that its not a good idea so I guess I was just looking to hear someone to say they would reccomend it to make me feel more comfortable about the decision lol. I wanna make sure everything is done right the first time around haha

Just do it. Either that or some old towels or something would do. I used to keep towels under my freshwater tanks, not for the reasoning you are looking bun to catch the water I spill all over the place lol.

In terms of a nem tank, I'd only do it if you're interested in selling them in your shop. If not, then it isn't worth the trouble IMO. But we both know nems bring good money so it would be worth it from a profit standpoint.

Got it moved over.. man I hate moving furniture around but gotta love the look of 11' of sw tanks lmao

Here it is

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130125_163239.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130125_163239.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 151
Ok I could really use some help here guys. I've been trying to find 2 plastic tubs to use as sumps but it will need to be no more then 3'x2' which the 50 gallon rubbermaids are just a little too big. I also do not want to use anything over 16" tall since I have 26" clearance. I've looked at a few different plastic companies and can't find anything that fits my needs so if anyone has some ideas it would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm about at the point I'm just gonna say screw it and plumb 12- 5 gallon buckets together into my filtration haha.

I just found this thread from a link you posted in your other build.

Honestly, I'd highly recommend doing one sump for both tanks. You'll only need one skimmer, pump and everything else. I'd do the cheapest glass tank you can find used or even the dollar per gallon thing if that's running. A 40 breeder would be ideal. Dry aragonite sand would be ideal for the displays and you won't need much, or any if you go bare bottom. I'd definitely go LED on the lighting to save on power heat and your continual cost to cash from sales ratio.

It's gonna be all one system its just with the supports in the middle it would only allow for a 16" wide sump through there so the plan is just to run all my overflows to the far left into the first container which will be all rock then plumbed into the second on the right side of the frag tank stand for a dedicated refugium. From there the fuge will drain into my existing sump under my 46 which will be converted into a return chamber. So essentially I'm making a simple 3 chamber sump just broken into 3 seperate containers. My issue is I want plastic prefferably for easier plumbing. If I went with glass 2 40 breeders would be perfect but I honestly don't feel like going through the drilling and bulkheads when I could do it much cheaper and easier with plastic.

Yeah, plastic really is easier to work with. I would look at an agricultural supply source. There should be online retailers. Maybe a plastic animal drinking or feeding trough (if that's spelled right) would work nicely. I've gotten agricultural barrels for a shop that worked out beautifully for mixing large amounts of saltwater.

I was looking into an 8' trough but they all seem to be to wide to pass thru the center supports. I've been searching the web but the best I've found that'll fit is a mere 19 gallon tub. Everything else tends to be like 25"+ wide for some reason.... It's starting to look like I may have to go with 2 40 breeders and drill em...

On another note I'm about to make a frag trade tomorrow or Tuesday. 11 pieces to one guy for 2 koralia 750s and a 75 gallon tank. Along with another guy that I'm working out a deal right now with for a euro reef rs-100 skimmer for 6-7 frags.

Ya I'm pretty pumped about both deals but especially the pumps and tank. Honestly though the skimmer is the better deal for me but gotta love a 75 gallon tank haha

Back
Top Bottom