Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-22-2004, 10:13 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
multiple heaters?

Do most people run 2 heaters? Is this for back up or to help in keeping the water a constant temp?

I had been having high temps (84-86F) and I have a fan on the sump and recently added a 4" intake fan to go with the 2 3" exhaust fans in my canopy. This is for the 2x250 MH/T5 setup I have.

I am happy that my temps are only hitting 82.5 to 83 but night temps are dropping to 80.5 -81. I am using a 300 watt heater for my 75 gal tank with 20 gal sump and 15 gal refugium.

Is this heater too small and I just need to add another smaller heater or should I turn this one up? Is it a big deal with the amount of drop I have?

ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 10:20 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Thats alot of water for just 1 heater. Do you know how often is cycles on and for what period it stays on when it does cycle on?

I use two heaters for a few reasons. First for backup. Should one fail the other is there. Second You can use two smaller heaters vs one large one. Should one smaller heater stick in the ON position it is less likly to 'boil' the water like a single large heater could.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 10:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to jaiden
it's for backup and protection... if one dies, the other can keep the tank warm. Also if one sticks in the "on" position, it's less likely to boil the tank because each heater will be smaller than one big one would be.

that said, I have 1.

what's your heater set to?

it sounds like your tank is just getting too hot in the day... 80-81 is fine, but the temp swing is not good.
54g all-glass bowfront corner planted FW

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 10:44 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Seems like it stays on a few minutes when it is on but not sure. With the lights and canopy I have, 80-81 just ain't going to happen. I like 82-84 but just want it steady.

Should I add another smaller heater to help keep the night temps up? I normally just buy 300 watt heater since the price is real close to 200-250 watters. I do turn the sump fan off at night and the intake fan on the canopy goes off with the MH's.

Thanks for the replies.
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 03:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
On tanks over 3 feet long I always suggest 2 smaller heaters vs. 1 proper wattage heater. long tanks develop cold spots more easily.
This is of course in addition to the reasons fishfreak/jaiden already mentioned.
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, eater, heaters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com