multiple heaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do most people run 2 heaters? Is this for back up or to help in keeping the water a constant temp?

I had been having high temps (84-86F) and I have a fan on the sump and recently added a 4" intake fan to go with the 2 3" exhaust fans in my canopy. This is for the 2x250 MH/T5 setup I have.

I am happy that my temps are only hitting 82.5 to 83 but night temps are dropping to 80.5 -81. I am using a 300 watt heater for my 75 gal tank with 20 gal sump and 15 gal refugium.

Is this heater too small and I just need to add another smaller heater or should I turn this one up? Is it a big deal with the amount of drop I have?

Thanks

Thats alot of water for just 1 heater. Do you know how often is cycles on and for what period it stays on when it does cycle on?

I use two heaters for a few reasons. First for backup. Should one fail the other is there. Second You can use two smaller heaters vs one large one. Should one smaller heater stick in the ON position it is less likly to 'boil' the water like a single large heater could.

it's for backup and protection... if one dies, the other can keep the tank warm. Also if one sticks in the "on" position, it's less likely to boil the tank because each heater will be smaller than one big one would be.

that said, I have 1.

what's your heater set to?

it sounds like your tank is just getting too hot in the day... 80-81 is fine, but the temp swing is not good.

Seems like it stays on a few minutes when it is on but not sure. With the lights and canopy I have, 80-81 just ain't going to happen. I like 82-84 but just want it steady.

Should I add another smaller heater to help keep the night temps up? I normally just buy 300 watt heater since the price is real close to 200-250 watters. I do turn the sump fan off at night and the intake fan on the canopy goes off with the MH's.

Thanks for the replies.

On tanks over 3 feet long I always suggest 2 smaller heaters vs. 1 proper wattage heater. long tanks develop cold spots more easily.
This is of course in addition to the reasons fishfreak/jaiden already mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom