Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

multiple tanks, shared sump

is anyone running a shared sump on 2 or more tanks?

i want to do something with a nano, but i would like to use the protein skimmer on my 55 to help keep the nano tank clean.

are there any problems with running 2 tanks into a common sump. i would be using separate overflows and separate return pumps.

i dont have the sump in place yet, nor the nano tank, its just an idea im tossing around...

~mike

Coralife Lunar Aqualight (4x65W),
60 LB Hirocks Base Rock, 40 LB LR 50/50 Keys/Gulf
150 LB Playsand (~3-4 in DSB)
2 x Blood Red Fire Shrimp, 2 x Cleaner Shrimp
2 x Black and White Percula Clown, 1 x Orange Spotted Blenny, 1 x Red Stripe High Fin Goby
mp3z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Only downside comes if you have a disease in one tank or the other, they share water and therefore problems. I think though that if you are also running a proper QT on all new fish/corals, that the benefit of increased water volume would outweigh the potential risk.

I've also heard of people using the old water from the larger tank as the water change water on the nano. This keeps the nano almost as stable as the larger system.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

im pretty comfortable with the risk of infection crossing over between tanks. but i think the benefits of the shared volume outweigh the risk of the cross-contamination. besides, i always qt... no questions. even when people i know ridicule me and tell me in cruel for QT-ing my fish...

i guess part of the reason for sharing the sump was to reduce the amount of work required for a stand alone nano tank. i do maintain my main tank on a pretty regular basis (PWCs, PH filter sponge cleaning, daily top-offs, etc), but i wont lie to myself and say that i will be ultra dilgent on daily maintenance on a nano tank. im being realistic with myself, and trying to find a way to keep the additional nano without causing harm to the inhabitants (should i go through with the second tank)

is anyone here actually running multiple tanks into a common sump. i would be willing to bet that im not the only one considering this.

~mike
2 x Black and White Percula Clown, 1 x Orange Spotted Blenny, 1 x Red Stripe High Fin Goby
Old 05-11-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Sound’s like a good idea Why use two pumps though? You could just use a more powerful pump and T it off and use ball valves to control flow to the two tanks. Only downside and its minor is you would have to top off the sump more due to more evaporation.

Considering how tricky nano tanks can be sometimes I think its well worth it IMO.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I share a sump with my display and 2 frag tanks. One big pump supplies the tanks and they all drain to the same sump. Skimmer is in the sump to benefit all. Plumbing is a bit crazy but it works.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

In SW more volume is always better. I think this could be a great idea for nano owners that have multiple tanks if they are close enought to plumb to a common sump.

Like tecwzrd said one pump with a T can get the job done.

What size sump are you considering?

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by afilter
What size sump are you considering?
well, due to my poor planing when i was building the stand, i will have to fab up something completely custom. off the top of my head, i think the dimensions are going to be something like 9 inches wide, 30 inches long, and 12 inches tall. that should give me ~14 gallons total volume, but probably ~10-12 gallons working capacity. i may be able to go longer (36 inches maybe), but i cant remeber off the top of my head...

plus, because i added a center brace on the back side of my stand, i cant make the sump a single container... im going to have to make it a 2 piece with the first volume spilling into the second volume. it should be interesting if i do build it.

but for now, im focused on bulding a poker table for a friend, and restoring a vintage motorcycle so i can sell it. so, ive got some time to dwell on the design.

~mike
Old 05-23-2006, 04:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

That sounds like a good and interesting idea. Keep us posted if you do it.

Tags
hare, multiple tanks, sump, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com