multiple tanks, shared sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mp3z24

Aquarium Advice Freak
is anyone running a shared sump on 2 or more tanks?

i want to do something with a nano, but i would like to use the protein skimmer on my 55 to help keep the nano tank clean.

are there any problems with running 2 tanks into a common sump. i would be using separate overflows and separate return pumps.

i dont have the sump in place yet, nor the nano tank, its just an idea im tossing around...

~mike

Only downside comes if you have a disease in one tank or the other, they share water and therefore problems. I think though that if you are also running a proper QT on all new fish/corals, that the benefit of increased water volume would outweigh the potential risk.

I've also heard of people using the old water from the larger tank as the water change water on the nano. This keeps the nano almost as stable as the larger system.

im pretty comfortable with the risk of infection crossing over between tanks. but i think the benefits of the shared volume outweigh the risk of the cross-contamination. besides, i always qt... no questions. even when people i know ridicule me and tell me in cruel for QT-ing my fish...

i guess part of the reason for sharing the sump was to reduce the amount of work required for a stand alone nano tank. i do maintain my main tank on a pretty regular basis (PWCs, PH filter sponge cleaning, daily top-offs, etc), but i wont lie to myself and say that i will be ultra dilgent on daily maintenance on a nano tank. im being realistic with myself, and trying to find a way to keep the additional nano without causing harm to the inhabitants (should i go through with the second tank)

is anyone here actually running multiple tanks into a common sump. i would be willing to bet that im not the only one considering this.

~mike

Sound’s like a good idea :D Why use two pumps though? You could just use a more powerful pump and T it off and use ball valves to control flow to the two tanks. Only downside and its minor is you would have to top off the sump more due to more evaporation.

Considering how tricky nano tanks can be sometimes I think its well worth it IMO.

I share a sump with my display and 2 frag tanks. One big pump supplies the tanks and they all drain to the same sump. Skimmer is in the sump to benefit all. Plumbing is a bit crazy but it works.

In SW more volume is always better. I think this could be a great idea for nano owners that have multiple tanks if they are close enought to plumb to a common sump.

Like tecwzrd said one pump with a T can get the job done.

What size sump are you considering?

afilter said:
What size sump are you considering?
well, due to my poor planing when i was building the stand, i will have to fab up something completely custom. off the top of my head, i think the dimensions are going to be something like 9 inches wide, 30 inches long, and 12 inches tall. that should give me ~14 gallons total volume, but probably ~10-12 gallons working capacity. i may be able to go longer (36 inches maybe), but i cant remeber off the top of my head...

plus, because i added a center brace on the back side of my stand, i cant make the sump a single container... im going to have to make it a 2 piece with the first volume spilling into the second volume. it should be interesting if i do build it.

but for now, im focused on bulding a poker table for a friend, and restoring a vintage motorcycle so i can sell it. so, ive got some time to dwell on the design.

~mike

Back
Top Bottom