Multiple tanks to one sump/refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tgeer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like to install two 90 Gallon tanks to one sump/refugium.
Is this possible and is it a good or bad idea?

With this setup could I still incorporate a top off device in the sump for both tanks?

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to setting up two 90s versus one 150 gallon tank?

I am new at this so thanks for your patience.

Tim

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I'd just set up an appropriately large sump to accommodate both tanks.

I'd personally set up 1 large 150gal though. Many large tangs require a 100gal or more, and would be happier in the large tank. Also, you'd have 1 less return pump to buy, less plumbing to fiddle with.

The only bad thing about it is that if there is parasites or disease then all tanks will be affected. Seperate would be better from that standpoint.

Well, if you're new at this, you've got some ambition. I commend you for it.

It is possible with a little creative plumbing. The drains are easy. Just run both drains down to the sump. I'd use one pump for the returns and split the return line with a tee. Put a ball valve on both output sides of the tee to balance the return flow between the tanks.

An ATO system should still work.

Two 90s over One 150g

Pros: More space, the ability to keep two different styles of tanks.

Cons: More complicated plumbing (minor), need to oversize the sump to handle the overflow of two tanks when the power is off.

You'd probably have to keep the tanks close together to work with one sump too. I think balancing the water flow would be difficult if the tanks are on opposite ends of the house.

The tanks would be side by side. I guess I am trying to invision how the ATO would work in the sump. I guess it would not matter which tank is low? THe ATO would kick in and water then would go to both tanks with the one tank requiring more water retaining more water?

with a sump, the display tanks are always at a constant level. the only thing that gets low on water is the sump. This is where the ATO goes, and what gets topped off.

As I understand the top off is of fresh water which keeps the salinity of the tank in acceptable range. If tank A is running lights that cause a faster evaporation than tank B will the salinity values of tank A, tank B, and the sump be the same in this configuration?

I have a 90 gallon with a 20 gallon setting beside it both plumbed into one Sump system. I use a a HoB overflow on the 20 gallon and I return the water with a Fluval 305. The one thing that is most important with a multi tank system is to make sure your overflow can handle your return or you could pump your large tank into your smaller one causing SIGNIFICANT flooding! lol trust me I know. I caught it just in time. One advantage to this method is the larger the amount of saltwater the more forgiving the water conditions will be.

Thanks for the warning. My plans are to start off with one 90 gallon and in the future add a secon 90. I am looking to also purchase a used 75 gallon to set up for the sump.

there will be no difference in salinity between the two tanks. Basically connecting them both to one sump would make it into 1 big system. The water would freely travel through the system and equalize in salinity and temperature and such. The ATO will help keep salinity constant throughout the system, and will keep sump levels steady

This is a fantastic thread because I'm planning on doing the exact same thing with the same size tanks, lol. I already have on 90 gallon tank with a sump. When I get the other tank, I'll be getting a much larger sump. That will be pretty important! I was going to simply put two return pumps into the sump for each tank, but I really like BigJim's idea of using just one pump and splitting the return line.

I just picked up a used 120 Gallon tank today that I am going to use for the sump. If I did my math right I believe this size sump/refugium could support three 90 Gallon tanks. Now I am loking for good designs to convert the 120 into the sump/refugium.

The 90 that I have now is drilled with the corner overflow. The 120 is not drilled. I was thinking I would start with setting up one 90 display tank and then later on as funds become available add on additional 90 show tanks.

How difficult would be to use the 120 (not drilled) as the show tank and making the drilled 90 as the sump? Next week I will start the work of adding some structural support in the crawl space and building stands. SO for now I am in the planning and the “what if” stage. J

You'd have to block the drains in the 90g and use a HOB overflow on the 120. Plugging the drains can be done a couple ways.

1. Silicone a piece of glass/acrylic/plexiglas over the top of the overflow. Maybe a little crude, but effective.

2. Use plumbing parts from the hardware store. Easy enough.

You may be better off using the 120g as the sump after all. I think I'd be afraid of the drains still leaking. If the tank is drilled for returns too, you'd definitely be best off using the 120g as the sump.

Back
Top Bottom