mushroom and polyp question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

werd2738

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 60 gallon fowlr with a snowflake eel and a dwarf fuzzy lion. I have a nice piece of live rock with about 20 blue/green mushrooms. I have read that they should thrive well under my standard lighting. I would like to add more mushrooms and possibly some polyps. Would these be a good choice with the less than perfect water quality due to the bio load created by these two messy eaters? Do I have other options as well?

Also im upgrading my lights ASAP and was looking at a 48" t5ho 2 bulb. Would this be ok for mushrooms, polyps, and/or whatever else would work in my tank? Or would the 4 bulb be necessary?

Im really not ready to go all out reef, but would enjoy some nice colors to bring out the tank.

Thanks everyone

4 bulb would be better because you won't need to add another fixture in future. But the two bulb would be fine for what you listed and some softies and lps would work to.

Well I went with the aquatic life 4 bulb. Im really glad I did too. I love being able to program dawn and dusk and now I added some star polyps and other polyps and so far so good. All are perked up and looking great!

You definitely went with the better choice.... it will open up more of a variety of what you can keep.
To your OP question.... softies like zoas, palys, leathers, and mushrooms tolerate "dirtier" water, and some even thrive in it, but only to a certain point. You'll still need to keep a careful eye on your nitrates & phosphates. You'll also be able to keep quite a few different types of LPS should you choose, but water quality becomes even more of an issue at that point.....

Yeah im loving it but ny wallet is still in shock lol.

Thats exactly why im staying simple. I do 15-25% water changes every week so im pretty confident softies will do good. But I just dont wanna push my luck without running a skimmer. Its in my future but im not there yet. And I really dont wanna buy something sub par just to turn around in a year and buy what I should have bought from the start.

Yeah im loving it but ny wallet is still in shock lol.

That's going to happen more than once.... :lol:

And I really dont wanna buy something sub par just to turn around in a year and buy what I should have bought from the start.

You're learning... Many years ago (we won't discuss how many), I had a photography teacher give me a bit of advice that has stuck with me, much to my wife's dismay...... "If you buy the good stuff the first time, you'll only cry once...."

Back
Top Bottom