Mushrooms / Corals for beginners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angmoh

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'v been keeping FOWLR for over months... now thinking of adding some hardy mushrooms/corals ... any recommendations ?

I have about 30W ( 1x15W coral blue , 1x 15W daylight) of light over a 10gal tank ... with a mini-powerhead for circulation...

i believe mushrooms dont need to be fed on other supplements such as calcium etc.. right ? they are photosynthetic inverterbrates rite ?

Which type of mushrooms are hardy ? thankss

Most all shrooms are hardy. Regular mushrooms (green, red, blues) and riccordia shrooms would do ok. Stay away from the fuzzy mushrooms, they get huge. And, your right, you shouldn't have to feed them. But you can add some phytoplankton if you want. Just have to be careful in a tank that size not to over do it.

In your opinion, which is the hardiest ? and which can tolerate low-lighting like mine ?

Will NO3 affect shrooms much ? cos i still hvt got any reading at NO3 . At least, NO2,ammonia is very close to 0.

For a first coral, I'd go with regular mushrooms of any color. They should do ok under the light you have. I wouldn't add any coral til your ammonia and nitrite are at 0. They can tolerate some nitrate, but I'd try to keep it under 20ppm. JMHO

I agree mushrooms, polyps, leathers are all hardy coral. Keep nitrates as low as possible and ammonia and nitrite at 0. I have had luck with xenia (and I don't have alot of light either).

Xenia will blossum under NO lighting... doesn't really appear to be a heavy-light friendly creature anywho....and it might do well at staying at a manageable size in that tank with that lighting. :)

Back
Top Bottom