Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
InfernoST's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,866
My 120 has cycled and want to add Livestock

My tank just completed it's cycle today and have a few questions regarding livestock choices. Please note i have not yet done the 50% PWC yet (I've been busy with the canopy, it's almost done too) These are the parameters as of today.

PH = 8.2
KH = 14
HN3/HN4 = 0
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 12.5 mg/l
Specific Gravity = 1.022
Water Temp = 80

I'm going to do the 50% over this weekend and re-post the new readings, what I would like to add is two types of clown fish or two of the same, naturally one of them has to be an authentic NEMO. The clean up crew I'm not to sure about exactly what to get. Please help me I need to get the stickers off of the tank, my daughters adds fish stickers daily.
__________________

__________________
Keith
120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Boulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 167
Inferno - can I ask what type of 'test kit' you use?

You are able to measure at very specific numbers (ie. N03 = 12.5) ... where as I can barely tell the different between 5 and 10 on my API test cards.
__________________

__________________
Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
InfernoST's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
Inferno - can I ask what type of 'test kit' you use?

You are able to measure at very specific numbers (ie. N03 = 12.5) ... where as I can barely tell the different between 5 and 10 on my API test cards.
I'm using the Tetratest test kits and the graduations on the NO3 color chart are 0,12.5,25,50 & 100 mg/l. The colors from the actual test to the chart are really good the only time it's hard is when it's way of the chart which I found with the NO2 test while cycling My 120. I must say it was a really, really, dark pretty shade of red but when it came back into range it's pretty easy to determine the value. I also like to read them outside or held up to a window with the chart because the lighting indoors seems to exaggerate the test results (In my case for the worse). I also confirmed the readings with three LFS in my area so I know the way I'm reading the tests is good for me.
__________________
Keith
120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
spikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 182
Smile

Congradulations!!!!

Now is the scary time. All this planning and now you have to really do something. Have you any idea of what fish you want? I would suggest that you think of all the fish you would like in the tank at the end (make sure you consult your daughter). In fact my daughter is next to me making sure I type correctly

Once you have worked that out; you can see if they fit in your tank (quantity and size) and also see is they fit together. I have had my 1st tank now for 4 years (now my daughter), and my 'new' tank is 12 months old. When I started to think what fish I wanted; I have a list of about 15-20. After a little research and planning I came up with my stock plan. And all is good.

Saying this, I still would go out and 'find nemo'.

I am no expert; however, I would say that to get 2 of the same species and not to mix the clowns, I have seen it done well with a largish tank. See what others think.

Good Luck - Good Planning
__________________
spikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin
 
melosu58's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 38,249
A mated pair of clowns would be great. I might have missed it earlier but what type tank is this going to be.
__________________

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank


AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
InfernoST's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikey View Post
Congradulations!!!!

Now is the scary time. All this planning and now you have to really do something. Have you any idea of what fish you want? I would suggest that you think of all the fish you would like in the tank at the end (make sure you consult your daughter). In fact my daughter is next to me making sure I type correctly

Once you have worked that out; you can see if they fit in your tank (quantity and size) and also see is they fit together. I have had my 1st tank now for 4 years (now my daughter), and my 'new' tank is 12 months old. When I started to think what fish I wanted; I have a list of about 15-20. After a little research and planning I came up with my stock plan. And all is good.

Saying this, I still would go out and 'find nemo'.

I am no expert; however, I would say that to get 2 of the same species and not to mix the clowns, I have seen it done well with a largish tank. See what others think.

Good Luck - Good Planning
Thanks man, I didn't tell my daughter yet that mother nature said we can now by fish (I started taking the stickers off of the tank, she hasn't noticed yet). I have a list in my head which I should put on paper, i did research them to verify compatibility and that they reef friendly (with My daughter). Now that you mention it 2 of the same species is OK,Thanks for the reminder.
I'm going to make the list and post it. Talk to you soon, take care
__________________
Keith
120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
InfernoST's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
A mated pair of clowns would be great. I might have missed it earlier but what type tank is this going to be.
It's starting out as 120 FOWLR with provisions for reef capability. I'm going to do the 50% PWC this weekend then re-post the water test results.
__________________
Keith
120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
spikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 182
120g you will have a lot of fun with this.
Look forward to seeing your stock list.
How old is your daughter?
__________________
spikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
InfernoST's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikey View Post
120g you will have a lot of fun with this.
Look forward to seeing your stock list.
How old is your daughter?
Do you remember the thread I found Marlin & Nemo in/on my tank? She is 5 and has plastered the tank with stickers.:p
__________________
Keith
120 Mixed Reef
InfernoST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
spikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 182
Sorry; yes I do. When I did this I had my daughter jabbering in my ear; and at 10yo boy does she jabber!!!!!!!!!!!!! (she is next to me now), so I was not thinking straight. (she is the best-so she said)
__________________

__________________
spikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cycle, cycled, led, live, livestock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tank just Cycled what should livestock should i get? solidsnakejv Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 21 07-30-2009 01:00 AM
I'm ready to add livestock and can use some help. InfernoST Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 12 07-22-2009 06:24 AM
Its almost time to add some livestock to my tank. fijiwigi Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 6 12-07-2007 04:36 PM
Apparently finished cycle...safe to add Livestock? Wah Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 5 07-10-2007 02:00 PM
Tank Cycled.. ? Need to add something fishlips12 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 08-27-2003 07:49 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.