My 1st 55 gal reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know this is a really stupid question. What do you mean by fresh seafood? Like a slice of salmon or shrimp in a clip or something?? Hmmm would like to try that.

Ive read that you can feed freshly chopped shrimp, squid or scallops. I havent tried it myself though. But i did receive a tip that bubble tip anemones love pieces of fresh scallop so i plan on trying it.

Im wondering what this green thing on my rocks. Are these just other type of nuisance algae?

It looks like a green coralline algae to me. But some say as the time passes it will turn pink then purple i dont know if thats true but thats the one ive been scrapping off today. I just want purple at the back of my glass. But i could be wrong :(

It could be true. Pink coralline algae is starting to grow on my sump. It's looks like a cotton candy pink :) hopefully they'll turn purple soon

What am I doing wrong that causes this diatom on my glass. I have to clean it every single day now and this started few days ago. I used to clean it once every 3-4days before.

When i almost tip my whole can of flakes 2 days ago and try to scavenge as much flakes i can get :( then next day i got so much green/brown film on my glass and i start scraping it yesterday and tried to do 6hrs for my lighting and woke up today just a little film build up so i scrape whats left. See what happens :) i hope yours go back to normal

My lights are on for 9 hrs. Should I set my timer to 6 hours now?

You could if you want to, im only doing it for 3 or 4 days plus water change let see what happen :) but other people have different technique on how they deal with it

Now the my DIY homemade stand is almost done im thinking of getting 20gal long or 30 gal long for my sump and fuge.

image-229730855.jpg

image-164266325.jpg

image-2020116732.jpg

Im just having a dilemma what to size of tank to get for my sump and fuge because "bigger is better" if I get a the 30 gal long its 36"x 12"x16" and that means i have a small amount of space left for my ro water, food, test kit etc..maybe less than 7". But have a nice spacious sump and not cramped everything. If i have the 20 gal its 30"x12"x12 and perfect in a way that i have extra amount of space for my ro water and etc.. But the area of the fuge and skimmer will be tight. Considering my nwb150 skimmer is 12" in length and return pump is 4".

Is that the sump you have on page 6 of your thread? You're lucky because you have the hob skimmer my is in sump

No, I built a sump out of a 20 long. Currently housing a nwb150 reef octopus. I'd suggest only making the return section as large as the return pump, itll give you more room for a fuge and your skimmer.

Page 22 the built sump shows up.

Back
Top Bottom