Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanx for your suggestions (insert sarcasm). I did some research and I'm going with the maxi jet for the PH. It's submersible, and I can adjust the flow. I tested the parameters....
pH 7.8
Ammonia 0
NitrItes somewhere between .25 and .5
NitrAtes 40
I added more Tonga branch last night. I like the way it looks. I'm not sure if I'll be adding anymore LR. Although I do have my eye on this nice piece of Tonga motu at the LFS. It's coated with this real pretty lime colored coraline algae. I might go pick that up today. The tonga branch I got last night has been sitting in thier tank for awhile, so I'm pretty sure it's cured and won't affect my cycle. I'm still looking into my invert list. I would really appreciate some feedback. I don't know much about the small reef cowrie. All it said was that it eats algae and doesn't get as big as the other reef cowrie. Any1 know anything about it?

Old 01-07-2007, 11:16 PM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

This is the only cowrie I could find but I think they are similar.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...pcatid=866&N=0

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

HOORAY!!!! My tank is officially cycled!
I just did a 20% kind of pwc. I had to put some new water in before I could take more out because I didn't want my submersible equipment to hit air. (I had a bad experience with that years ago). Hopefully it brought down my NitrAte levels. I took a water sample before I started the pwc, so I could see if there's any difference in color in the NitrAtes (as my test kit is hard to read). I'm gonna wait till the water settles and pull a new water sample out, then test both samples at the same time.
If I get no good results, (as I had to add water in the middle of the pwc), I'll just do another 10% pwc.
I am on my way to the LFS now. I plan on sticking in....
1 Trochus snail
1 Astaea snail
1 more nassarius
2 cerith snails
1 peppermint shrimp (I found out that groovy anemone thing in there is aptasia)
Wish me luck! and I'll keep my updates posted.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:59 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK...I got an update. Here's the levels...
pH 8.2
Ammonia 0
NitrItes 0
NitrAtes 20-40ppm (hard to read)
Calcium 340
KH 12
Phosphates 0
I did my pwc and headed to the LFS. They didn't have the cerith snails, trochus snails, or peppermint shrimp. So this is what I got...
2 Astraea snails
2 more nassarius snails (3 total in the tank)
1 unidentified anemone shrimp (I'll have pics soon).
I did something bad . I was looking in their coral tanks and saw this beautiful polyp. I was checking for future reference of course. I was matching the labeled prices with all the corals. There was two different prices for polyps;$35 and $50. So I pointed to the most colorful and healthiest looking one and asked the guy, "How much?". He said, "That one's 20." What! 8O Do you really think I was capable of leaving the store without it? Absolutely NOT!!!!
They closed up while transporting. After about 10 minutes in the tank, they started to open up. After about 2 hours went by, all of them were fully opened. I'm assuming that's a good sign. I noticed a black and white striped shell wedged in between polyps. It didn't seem to have anything in it. I figured I would move it once my little guys were settled in. When I checked the tank about an hour ago, the shell was gone! Nowhere in sight. So I picked up a mystery guest.
I also found something very exciting. Itty bitty baby snails!! This may not be a big deal to someone who has had SW tanks for some time, but this is my very first SW tank, and I am soooo excited!
So, that's the update. I'll be getting a refractometer and a PH soon. I'm also going to keep looking for a peppermint shrimp (I have 2 small growths of Aptasia). I'm gonna do another pwc to see if I can lower those nitrates.
I need help making a decision on PHs. I'm going with the maxijet submersibles. I'm contemplating putting either one 160gph, or two 106gph on opposite ends of the tank. Feedback on that???
Old 01-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Like to see some more pictures. Sound like everything is going good.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:37 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

My batteries in my camera are dead. I did get it to work tonight to get a couple shots. I need to invest in a better camera. Mine is one of the first digital cameras ever made. It wieghs about 7 lbs. and doesn't focus up close too well. I don't know how to get the pics from the camera into the computer either. My fiance knows how to do all that. I'll get him to do it. Check back tomorrow.
Here's today's update.....
I haven't tested the levels since yesterday. I've been running errands all day and I had to work. But I did get some additions. I got my peppermint shrimp! YAY! I also got two cerith snails. Double YAY!
I found that black and white striped shell. It was further into my polyp colony. I plucked it out this morning before I ran all my errands. It's a snail. It's body is black and it has a wierd looking tail thing that kinda looks like a rattlesnake tail. Anyone have any ideas???
I put it on the SB so he wouldn't upset my polyps. When I got home tonite, he was back in the polyps again.?? If anyone has any clue as to what this is, please let me know! I don't know if he's harming my polyps, or if he's some kinda polyp "buddy snail"? If he is bad news, I want to exit him to the left ASAP.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:38 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Your mystery snail sounds like a Heliacus sp. snail aka, the Sundial snail. They are predatory zooanthid eaters...and if that is him I'd take it out asap.

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/sundial_snail.html

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:18 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yep! That's exactly what it is. I was searching Aptasia and found a hitchikers guide (not to the galaxy) and he was in there. I don't particulary like flushing live things down the toilet, but it was him or my polyps. Along with the sundial went my emerald pleco I found him in the corner of my 55. I'm very upset.
I got the maxijet 400 today and stuck it in the tank. I have it blowing over the top of my polyps. I know they need medium water flow, so is that a good choice for placement? The nozzle is about 4-5 inches from the side of the colony. I'm going to pick up another one on tuesday. The right side of my tank looks like it's starting to get some type of algae on the SB and there's no flow over there since I put the foam on my skimmer.

So, I'm not sure if I have a "true peppermint shrimp". He's not going after the thing I think is Aptasia. I'm not sure if I have Aptasia? It doesn't have a stalk like most of the pictures I've seen. But it does have that flower look to it (kinda like a polyp), and it's basically clear in color. It's tips are a whitish tint sometimes (they seem to change color). It's very tiny (about a quarter inch). There's 1 more that I can see and that one's even smaller. My camera won't pick it up, so I can't get a shot of it.
Also, my "peppermint shrimp" is agitating my polyps. He's picking frantically around them and stepping all over them. They close up when he touches them. Should I be concerned? Is this normal? When my anemone shrimp, (that moves very slow and gentle), steps on my polyps, they don't even flinch. He actually just hangs out on them and they don't seem bothered one bit; like he's not even there.
My "peppermint" shrimp is pregnant. It has a bunch of little yellow balls in it's abdomen. Can anyone refer me to some links that can help me figure out if I have a true peppermint shrimp and/or aptasia? I've only seen one link with the peppermint and its look-alike. It's def not a camel, so nix that possibility.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:57 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Peppermint shrimp don't always take to the aipstasia...unfortanetly. You may want to look into getting some Joes Juice and nuking them yourself.

Your clear things may be Hydroids... Check out the link and see what you think. If it is Hydroids, get rid of them asap by smothering then with a kalk paste.

It's normal for peppermint shrimp to pick at things a little bit, it's part of their nature to do so. But, keep an eye on it to make sure it isn't eating the corals. They very very rarely do, but the very occasional peppermint shrimp has been known to eat soft coral.

Here, the peppermint shrimp is the first in the bottom row. If it's red and sorta opaque...it's the peppermint shrimp.

http://melevsreef.com/id/shrimp.html

Hydroids

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/pic..._hydroids.html

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:56 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

The peppermint shrimp looks like that. I have to find that hitchiker link again, and take a closer look, cuz it's cousin looks almost identical. It says the main difference is that on the imposter, the red lines are darker.
In the pic of the hydroids, I wasn't sure if it was the pink things, or the clear things. Either way, it doesn't look like either of those. Mine looks like a flat, clear button polyp with no lines in it, and longer tentacles (no tube for a base). It looks like it has a tiny hole in the middle like a polyp/zoa. I counted six long and two short tentacles on it when it was fully opened. I checked on it last night, and it looked like it shrank? And I couldn't find the smaller one. Not sure if it's gone, cuz they move. I wish I could get a pic. I'm going to have to invest in a better camera.
Any feedback on my PH placement?

Tags
pics, seahorse, seahorses, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com