Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

My 1st SW tank. Seahorses are in!NEW PICS!

Ok, I have about 19 topics going out there, so I decided to start a tank log and stick with this one. I'll play catch up of what happened over the last 2 weeks.
I set up a tank that I plan to have seahorses and soft corals in. Here's the stats...
20 gal high
penguin biowheel filter
Seaclone 100 skimmer
Visatherm stealth 150w heater
2 inch SB
23 lbs of LR
lighting is Dual satellite 2x65w 1 dual daylight, 1 dual actinic, 1 lunar light

I set up the tank Dec. 20th. I initially filled the tank with dechlorinated tap water. Against my better judgement, my impatient self added 2 turbo snails and a nassarius snail about a week ago. I thought they would help eat up the die off on my LR. My ammonia was at 8.0 and I panicked and did a pwc. I found out that would prolong my cycle so no more pwc s until the tank is fully cycled. I did my pwc by adding OSMO prep to DI water and then adding my salt. This is also what I'm using to do my top offs. (only adding salt if SG is low)
I sentenced my poor turbo snails to an early demise (moment of silence for the turbos). I haven't seen the nassarius in 2 days. I'm worried he is rotting away in my SB. I tested the water today. My ammonia is at 0!!!!! Hooray! The Nitrites are at 2, and I don't plan on testing NitrAtes until the NitrItes are at 0.
I did some redecorating because I found something on the LR that looks like a coral. It was on the back of a piece of LR facing the rear of the tank. So I turned it around, so it could get some light if it is in fact a coral. I tried to get some shots of it, but they didn't come out that great. It's pink and looks like a ribbon with ridges you would see on a birthday present.
That's the update for now. As soon as I figure out how to post pics in this thread, I'll have some up. WISH ME LUCK!!!!! and if anyone has any idea what that pink ribbon looking thing is, feel free to give your input!

Old 01-03-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Looks great. Wish you the best. I`m hoping to have mine ready if I ever get the funds.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:20 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Good luck. Try and get a pic of the mysterious pink thing.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here's the most recent pick after I did a little redecorating....
Old 01-04-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Cool, do you plan on adding more liverock, or is that all?

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have 23 lbs of LR in there now. I want to get at least another piece of Tonga branch. I don't like the way it looks, so I plan on redecorating (again). Once I redecorate, I'll decide if I'm going to put more in there. I need to set up the QT. When I do that, I'll probably throw a couple pieces in there. If I do, that will make room for more LR in my showtank.
I checked my levels.
pH is at 7.8
Ammonia at 0 Hooray!
NitrItes at 2.0
I'm not going to bother checking NitrAtes till the NitrItes hit 0.

I still haven't found out what species of seahorse I'll be getting. All I know is I'm going with CB or TB. The ones my LFS gets on a regular basis go from yellow to black. I have done a little research as far as the corals. This is what I plan on sticking in there....Some zoas, a yellow fiji leather, and blue mushroom.
The mushroom I found that I like is Discosoma coerulea (they are the marine invert of the month in the Jan issue of TFH).
As for the zoas, I like the super colored, yellow, and button polyps.
Any thoughts on that?
My invert list is as follows...
Some turbos
Some nassarius snails
Some cerith snails
1 small reef cowrie
1 skunk cleaner shrimp (to start) maybe more later
1 peppermint shrimp
2-3 sexy shrimp
1 electric flame scallop
1 colored feather duster
1 marbled sea star
I have questions on my invert list. How many turbos? How many nassarius'? Do the sexies need supplemental feeding? I know all about the scallop not living long, but they're cool and I want one. (I already have phytomax to feed it). What does the marbled sea star eat? and how do I feed it?
As soon as the tank cycles, I plan on adding all of the inverts except the sea star (I want to do a little more homework on that).
After I add the inverts, I'm going to wait a little and check all my parameters. Once everything is stable, what do I add next? The ponies or the corals?
*NOTE* I edited my wish list after doing a little more reading. The same questions still apply.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:51 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
1 bumblebee snail will possibly eat the other snails. For the hermits, make sure they have plenty of larger shells to move into, they may eat some of your snails too. The shrimp should not need extra feeding. I can't really help you on the rest...

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here's todays update.....
I tested all the basic levels.
pH 7.8
Ammonia 0
NitrItes 1.0
NitrAtes 20
My nitrites went down 1 point. Hooray! I'm on my way. I also redecorated again. I'm pretty happy with the way it looks and plan on adding a little more LR, def a couple more pieces of Tonga Branch. I'll have updated pics up soon. I need help with the questions I posted earlier about my invert wish list. Please leave me some feedback. Thanx!
Old 01-05-2007, 11:09 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Looks like the cycle is almost done. Looking good

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just tested my levels.
pH at 7.8
Ammonia at 0
NitrItes at .5
NitrAtes at 20
My NitrItes are going down!! I'm getting excited! The cycle seems to be moving along great!
I got some suggestions about what to do about my skimmer shooting bubbles all over the tank. I got a piece of aquarium safe sponge and stuck it over the spout of the skimmer. It seems to be working. I still have bubbles, but there's not as many and they are only on the surface, not going throught the whole tank. This cuts down my water flow in the tank, so I decided to stick in the PH. I get it out and find out it's not submersible. And I don't think I can adjust it to shoot downward either. So I'm returning it. I heard someone talking about a submersible mini jet PH in another forum. Can anyone make a suggestion??

Tags
pics, seahorse, seahorses, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com