My 220 build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustinKBreen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After a lot of planning and waiting, my build is officially under way :) Just ordered a tank and stand from my lfs. 72" long x 24" wide x 30" tall. Should be here in 3-4 weeks.

Ok. First question. Please tell me if I am on track here..

I am planning on buying 100 pounds of dry rock from reef rocks. It is the cheapest I have found for dry rock.

I am also planning on buying about 50 pounds of dry tonga branch rock from BRS and maybe 10-20 pounds of dry shelf rock from BRS for some nice variety.

I will add some live rock from my established tank and maybe a few pieces of Tonga branch rock I've been eyeing at my lfs.

Wow! Save a few hundred and build your own lol

I figured most the cost is in the skimmer, but I just might go the DIY route.

The wife doesn't trust me much with the DIY part. She is afraid of it leaking. :)

JustinKBreen said:

The wife doesn't trust me much with the DIY part. She is afraid of it leaking. :)

Sounds like my ol' lady. .. wont even let me plunge the toilet.

And whos live rock? You have a link? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Wife, hell.... I'd be afraid of it leaking!! Scour craigslist and pick up a 55 or 75 & DIY a sump from that.

Ok, another sump related question. How many gallons per hour overflow box should I have? Getting a tank that won't be predrilled.

I like to have about 2-3x tank volume flow through my sump so 800 gph? the flow will be limited by the return pump

JustinKBreen said:
Ok, another sump related question. How many gallons per hour overflow box should I have? Getting a tank that won't be predrilled.

You could get a overflow kit from Gl*******s. I suggest to get the 1500 gph kit that has two 1.5" drain holes. That should be more then enough for your tank . IMO

50 pounds dry tonga shelf rock from bulk reef supply. Amazing rock, will make for some great overhangs.

ForumRunner_20120816_024345.jpg

I also got in 100 pounds of dry rock from reef rocks, pictures to follow later, tired from a long night at work.

Anyone have experience with aquamaxx sumps? I am considering the 300 s I think it was. It is an in sump skimmer.

Long day breaking down my 50 gallon tank then setting it back up across the room (New tank to sit where my 50 was)

Everything went well despite the wife freaking about a wrasse that went carpet surfing.

Picked up the new tank from the lfs with the help of a couple friends and a helpful neighbor. Started to put the base rock in, but I'm sure to re-aquascape once I get the live rock and fill it.

Now to wait a few days for UPS and Fedex to bring misc. supplies, skimmer, sump tank, ro/di system, salt mix, etc

Back
Top Bottom