My 24g Tank Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, just thought i would post up a thread for my tank. I'm going to have various questions about this same tank setup that i want to ask so i figured i would be best to just make one thread and add to it rather than spam with heaps of threads.

This first pic is what i started with and started my cycle with.

tank1.jpg

This is what i have now

tank2.jpg

:)

I got the white coral looking pieces from my LFS live rock tank, they had a fair few of them and i just couldn't pass them up. So far my cycle is going well. I totally overfed my tank with ammonia when i started by using a huge piece of shrimp, but it's starting to come down now.

My levels are

Ammonia 4.0-5.0
Nitrite 1.5
Nitrate 20-25
PH 7.8 :(
Salinity 1.025

I need to get my PH up, i've tested it at various times of day and it still sits @ 7.8. And i need to get my salinity down, but that's fine as i will do that soon with some freshwater. Based upon my pics with what i have in the tank does anyone see a reason why my PH could be low? I'm running coral sand with a deep sand bed (it's deeper than it looks in the pics as the plastic barrier at the bottom of the tank is also depth). Also the white coral looking pieces in there are real, they aren't plastic.

Thouroughly enjoyed getting it to the point it is now :)

Is that dead coral?

Are you going to take them out to save the space in your tank for real ones afterwards?

Yeah it's dead coral. I had planned on leaving them in there for now, however if i decide to get some live corals down the track then i will most likely move things around a bit of remove some of them yeah.

Here's another bug i found crawling around my tank....he's been on the go since i got it setup and today he decided to crawl onto the glass so i got a good pic. All those tentacles on his back just flow freely, he's in the flow of my tank so they are all to one side. He's about an inch long. I have a feeling all my little crawley's are going to go missing as soon as i add some fish :)

bug.jpg

Also noticed a really small red plant. I went back for a look and it was gone....so i watched where it was for a little while and it slowly came back out, and then i moved a bit to stand up and instantly it popped back into it's hole so i couldn't see it.....

flowerpower.jpg

Anyone know what these two are?

The first pic looks like some sort of nudibranch. I can't tell about the 2nd pic. You may want to post those two in ID section.

Thanks roka, i would say you are spot on with the nudibranch. I image googled it and found a few that looked 99% the same as mine :)

I'm not 100% sure on the type..

He is definitely one of them though as he is exactly like alot of them in those pictures....there's no doubt about it.

Very very similar in colour to this guy, but not quite the same

ScienceImage - CSIRO

I hope my fish don't eat him when i get them :confused:

Back
Top Bottom