My 40 breeder tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bgmann12

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417100369.495642.jpg
Just filled it yesterday waiting for it to clear then will put in a product to start the cycle.

How would you guys recommend cycling the tank. I would like to have a fish before Christmas. Thanks.

Seed it with some live rock and add an ammonia source like a shrimp or ghost feeding

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Here is an article on cycling your tank:
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

It is pretty simple, I prefer to throw a shrimp in some panty hose and let it do its part. That will provide the ammonia source you need to cycle your tank. It takes a couple of weeks to a month, every tank cycles differently.
Though using a ton of fish food will also work, this stuff is generally packed with phosphates and you should want to aim away from adding such things to your system even though you'll be doing a water change at the end of your cycle to bring the nitrates down.

People make claim to products that 'cycle' your tank, but there is no definitive claim that they work besides the manufactures. People have claimed that it will speed your cycle along, but I have not seen this personally and don't recommend using such products as for every time I've heard that it works I have also heard that it did absolutely nothing.

Thanks but I would rather not use live rock because of pests and stuff along those lines. I've been looking into using ammonia to put into the tank and possibly use a bottled bacteria like dr tims one and only or bio-spira. I need to do something that doesn't smell because it is on my kitchen.

For the most part, I've never had a smell from the ammonia cycling a tank. The one and only and other products won't cycle a tank fully, you still need to provide an ammonia source. Bacteria still needs something to eat! I still stick by the shrimp in panty hose to prevent it from falling apart and making a mess. Simple and easy to throw away.

Will adding pure ammonia to my tank with live sand and base rock be enough to cycle or should I add a bottled bacteria and the ammonia?

I'm not sure if using pure ammonia is covered in the article about cycling in our cycling section or not...but it is something you should check out.
To make it simple, you want to dose your tank with ammonia so you get a reading of 2 ppm from your ammonia test. You want to make sure there is still ammonia in there, so you have to keep testing and dosing the tank to keep the ammonia levels up, but not much higher than 2ppm. Once the 2ppm of ammonia is consumed in a 24 hour period, your tank is cycled.

Thanks I am going to lowes today if I get the time and will see if they have any. I'm going to get some egg crate to make a top too.

I'm happy how it turned out as this is my first time trying it. This is my first saltwater tank.

Looks good. If you find that that light diffuser material prevents some light from reaching the ends of the tank, bulk reef supply sells mesh netting that you can attach to a simple frame and will deflect a lot less light. Plus, you can get it with smaller holes so that fish can't jump (I have seen fish actually aim for the holes to escape).
DIY Screen Tops - Bulk Reef Supply

Thanks Mr.X but with all my hang on back stuff i would have to leave a gap in the back in order to give the filter and stuff room to run which would later on give fish room to jump out.

Had salt creep on the top from the bubbles from the hob filter so I put a pieceImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417303131.930199.jpg of acrylic down in front of the outtake to stop the bubbles and it work well. Almost all the bubbles are gone I'm very pleased.

Had salt creep on the top from the bubbles from the hob filter so I put a pieceView attachment 256927 of acrylic down in front of the outtake to stop the bubbles and it work well. Almost all the bubbles are gone I'm very pleased.

I personally use panty hose to prevent salt creep, and it also ends up acting as a filter as well. Just an idea if it continues to be an issue.

I spiked my ammonia to 1.5 ppm around 8pm last night. Then around 4 pm today it was at 0 and I had .2 ppm nitrite. So am I almost ready for fish I guess that bio-spira helped

I got a Banggai Cardinal last night and it is doing great and is eating.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418350287.314552.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418350352.923364.jpg

Back
Top Bottom