my 40 gallon breeder questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got mine off saltwater.com... Was only suppose to be 2-3 inches.. He was 6.. Lol

coffeetwitch said:
Mind if I ask how much you paid? Have you gotten many fish from them?

69.99.. And a couple. Most went with my 60g I sold. They are still alive.

skimmers, so confusing. i said in either this thread or another that i wanted to upgrade my skimmer. it is inconsistent between wet and dry skimming. could it be because of my total system water volume being about 70 gallons and the skimmer claims that its good to 150 gallons?

Skimmers do go idle from time to time if they're caught up with the bioload. Also, is the water level in the compartment where the skimmer located always consistent? Changes in water level for skimmers can cause them to go too wet to too dry as the water level can alter the bubble level in the skimmer.

ha i think you and i had a lengthy discussion back and forth on this. maybe....

after i changed from the mag 9.5 to the quiet one 2200 it does go idle from time to time. the water level in the skimmer compartment is not dependent on top or or evap. my return pump is the lowest water level in the sump.

i did some research and found a thread in another forum thats pretty much dedicated to this skimmer. i had mine setting in 10" of water i made a quick stand and now its just over 8" ill run it like this for a bit to see whats up. then ill make it 9" and see how that goes.

because im thinking about a possible upgrade in tank size i want flexibility with my skimmer. i really wanted to get a brand name skimmer like the vertex in-100 but if i do the tank swap i want a skimmer that can handle the extra volume of water and still be a bit +1 on size. this is the skimmer that i have now... 150 Gallon Fresh Saltwater Fish tank Protein Skimmer | eBay

it was priced right when i was looking to buy a skimmer.

i suppose when it comes down to it, i have very little experience with protein skimmers so i dont know whats right and whats not. i see some people have green skimmate and some have varying shades of brown. mine is brown and i try to get the darkest brown i can while still having to empty the collection cup once every week.

Yes I think we did. Good call on the 8" depth. Most in sump skimmers do best in 6-8" of water. Hopefully you'll see a difference in the change.

As for the upgrade, yes I think a slighly overpowered skimmer is the way to go. It's funny to me at least when folks are willing to spend a lot of money on peripherals and expensive fish but go cheap on a small under-powered skimmer.

As for the color of the skimmate I've never really given it another thought. Skimmate has always been a very dark green. Never really had a brown skimmate. I wonder if the skimmate color is an indicator of anything?

Thankfully I couldn't sleep tonight!

I was was watching my fish under the moon lights with the rest of the house lights off. I heard a weird noise and kicked on my phone for a light and saw that my protein skimmer over flowing!

There was only an inch of skim mate in the collection cup when I " went to bed "

Lucky catch. I would have hated to wake up in the morning after it had overflowed all night. Oh yeah, the neck was nice and gunked up. No clue what all of that slowly being washed back into my system would have done to the water but I doubt it would have been a good thing.

4 weeks have gone by since my banggais did their thing. i moved the male to a 20g about a week ago. today we got a long spine urchin for it. me and sweetie pie did some running around and came back to 2 babies swimming. both have found the urchin we got for them... daddy banggai is taking his time releasing the rest of them... hopefully by morning he will be done.

img_2026698_0_4a4a35623e7f7f2b93cddd853f1c86d1.jpg

img_2026698_1_82208c9bad4a0982d674558fbb436ed5.jpg

Twitch I never really read about cardinals and urchins. What is the relationship they share? Is it just fry protection or something else?

banggais are to urchins as clowns are to anemones. at least when they are to small to make it on their own. its got to be instinctual, that if one is present, to hide in its spines for protection. the owner of the local fish store used to breed them and suggested it. and from time to time i have found articles of people making fake urchins for the baby banggais.

Back
Top Bottom