Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

4 bulbs could be a bit iffy for the BTA. Has it moved to the top of the tank and spread itself thin to get more light?

With a 4 bulb, not sure how well you'll be able to handle sps. You can probably get away with some low light lps and fleshies. Doubt you can handle the blue or green clams. A gold maxima or any "browner" clams may be ok.

I agree with Leo here too. a mag 9.5 is a lot of power for a tank that small. I've got it in my 125 and I have it dialed down to half power with 5' of headloss. Had i known then what i know how, i would have gone down in pump sizes.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

a mag 9.5 through a 16" long 1" id pvc spray bar with 7/16 holes drilled every inch is really not that bad. take the spray bar off and it gets a little crazy.

im thinking about putting a power head in my fuge for my cheato too if that keys you in on how turbulent it all is.

thats a shame that almost 4 watts per gallon is not enough for anything. can someone simplify lighting for me? watts per gallon wise? 15" of water and another 15" from front glass to back of the rock work.

and no, the bta does not spread its self thin. open but not stretching. it is only at the top because i moved the rock around while it was stuck to it. he was on the underside of the rock. he has not yet moved away from that spot.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not the flow coming out of the pump...it's the increase flow in your sump that is making your skimmer less efficient. In a closed loop system, a mag 9.5 would be awesome flow! You want low circulation for your skimmer which is counter intuitive to the high flow in your overall circulation for your tank.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

so dwell time in the sump makes the skimmer work better? what size return pump should be recommended for a 4o breeder? i may go back and compare notes with the other 40 breeder builds.

dont forget about the lights if you dont mind too.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:24 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

and if i loose the flow from my return should 2 koralia 550 gph be enough in my dt?
Old 01-19-2012, 03:38 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch View Post
so dwell time in the sump makes the skimmer work better? what size return pump should be recommended for a 4o breeder? i may go back and compare notes with the other 40 breeder builds.

dont forget about the lights if you dont mind too.
Yes, exactly. "Dwell time" in the sump makes the skimmer work better. What's the headloss on your sump to DT? I'd recommend a pump with 2-3x your volume as a return pump. Some folks like 5-7x, it's really up to you. Perhaps a pump with 120-150gph after headloss would be ideal. You can go bigger if you want and put a valve on it to throttle it back. A Mag 3 or 5 will probably do the trick.

As for light, watts per gallon in somewhat of an outdated model to use. Even so, SPS and clams require quite a bit more light....something around 8-10ish watts per gallon if I remember correctly. A 4 bulb T5 isn't a bad place to start. If possible I'd augment what you have with another 2-4 bulb t5 system, or perhaps an LED strip and get some shimmer effects?
Old 01-19-2012, 03:57 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch View Post
and if i loose the flow from my return should 2 koralia 550 gph be enough in my dt?
I thought you had 2 Koralia 425's?

It's not uncommon for some reef systems to have 20-50x volume flow rate. SPS will require higher flow rate compared to other corals.

With the 425s and your return pump (If you go with a 150g/hour setting) you're looking at around 25x volume flow. The 550s might be worth it. That'll put you around 32x volume. You can always add more PHs down the road. the only trick is to aim them so that they don't kick up your sand etc.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for all that info!
Old 01-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Now to figure out what to fix first
Old 01-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo

still wouldn't use that for a 75g, i would progably put a 9.5 on a 125+ gallon. there is a general rule of thumb for a refugium, 5x the water volume, or the GPH of your skimmer pump. the slower the flow rate through your fuge the more nutrients the micro and macro algaes can soak up, so there is no point running a big pump, it'll just consume more power and reef tanks are already power hungry.

mr.X ran his onyl 150g wit ha mag 5 until he took it down, and his corals were awesome
Hey gti. If your still following. Or really any if you can answer. Why do I keep reading cheato likes a lot of flow? so isn't that conflicting with slowing down flow through my sump and fuge?

Tags
40 gallon, breed, breeder

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com