my 40 gallon breeder questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I seen on another thread that ur planning on a rke. R u planning on having more than one tank on it? I just don't really know wth else I would do with my rkl. The only thing I might have to debate on in the future is what's more important salinity or net module. Cause I do plan on running ozone. It would be nice if the lite had 5 modules, or 8 outlet power strip, or sl2 had orp, or net was built in.

I seen on another thread that ur planning on a rke. R u planning on having more than one tank on it? I just don't really know wth else I would do with my rkl. The only thing I might have to debate on in the future is what's more important salinity or net module. Cause I do plan on running ozone. It would be nice if the lite had 5 modules, or 8 outlet power strip, or sl2 had orp, or net was built in.

I am hoping to use my RKE with 2 tanks. So far the unit is really easy to work with and with a couple extra modules i think i could have it control another tank. :) Thats my plan anyways. lol It might be cheaper to just buy an RKL for the second tank, I'll have to see.

I couldn't imagine it being cheaper. Maybe more convenient to have another head unit. And easier to install if you have to run like a hundred foot rj12.

just throwing this out there.

i have ordered a tlf 150 phosban reactor. and a lb of bulk gfo. since then i have been reading some neat little things about the biopellets. i have already pulled my dsb in my fuge. i thought it was funny when i did a search on here for biopellets to see what everyone is doing with them, i found carey's thread. i pulled my dsb for the same reason she was/is thinking of doing the same thing.( to clarify. she was asking about removing her refugium and putting a skimmer there then running biopellets too) i dont see many pods in my fuge, my macro doesnt seem to be doing anything. so it may be on its way out too.

anyway im thinking once i see how the gfo works for me i may switch to the pellets when i run out of gfo. if you want to ask me why, here is the answer to that. i have been fighting slime algae for a while now. i have tried the water changes with the reduced feeding to once a day then to once every other when that didnt work. and i have tried chimiclean. pulling the dsb in my fuge helped some. blew my mind how much that did help. maybe my grain size (aragonite seafloor special grade select?) was too large for a dsb and wasnt doing anything for me.

Kinda nice to know i'm not alone with my experience with a refugium. lol

let me know when you go biopellets cause I probably wont get a chance to get a reactor til end of next month and I'd love to know if that works.

you are not alone.

ive still got to get my phosban reactor, i ordered it friday. and then ive got to work though a lb of media. ha, between the two of us, you will be the one running pellets first. i will post it here when/if i switch to pellets. be sure to drop a line when, when you get yours up and running please and thank you!

I think you should give the algae a chance before buying more components. I also think you should just relax, put the test kits down, and enjoy your reef.

I'm probably going to pull my dsb from the display and put in the sump. The only problem I have with it is I really want to be able to vacuum the display better and not worry about disturbing the sand bed. And I also plan to run biopellets. It's just a lot of bang for the buck. Lower nitrate, lower phosphates, maybe a little food for the corals, and you only add them about every six months. That's what's up.

thank you mr_x, and i want to get to that point of enjoying it. until this slime, that has over run my tank, is gone or maybe just isolated to my sump i have been apprehensive about adding any corals. i want to say ive been running the macro for 2? months now with no detectable growth.

I'm probably going to pull my dsb from the display and put in the sump. The only problem I have with it is I really want to be able to vacuum the display better and not worry about disturbing the sand bed. And I also plan to run biopellets. It's just a lot of bang for the buck. Lower nitrate, lower phosphates, maybe a little food for the corals, and you only add them about every six months. That's what's up.

thanks for adding. like carey said in her thread about them, the more info the better. and sorry to hear about your tank and supplies getting messed with.

got my premium aquatics shipment today, that and my gate valve that i ordered for my overflow. set it all up and am excited to see what kind of results ill get with the phosban reactor. i also think that my chaeto is finally doing its thing, slowly but doing it. the more i read, the more i like the biopellets. i think that when i use up the gfo ill switch to them. a maxi jet 1200 should be enough right? or do i need something like the mag 3?

if i ever get a sump on my 125 fowlr, ill be going the pellet route with it.

oh yeah. and i redid my return pluming to cut back on some of the flow from the mag 9.5. i hope i didnt fix something that wasnt broken. my skimmer was pulling a lot out of the water as it was. oh well, im not going back to the way it was.

Was your skimmer working non stop before? When I cut back the flow to my plumbing my skimmer was finally able to catch up to the bio load and idle.

Good call on the biopellets. I've seen some very impressive results from folks who use it.

Was your skimmer working non stop before? When I cut back the flow to my plumbing my skimmer was finally able to catch up to the bio load and idle.

Good call on the biopellets. I've seen some very impressive results from folks who use it.

i suppose you could say it was running non stop. we will see how it goes by the end of the week. emptied my collection cup just before i hung all my new pipe work.

I'm going to start running biopellets soon. I'm probably going to get the brs reactor and run it with a maxijet. I've already got one so it's worth a try. I really don't see it being a problem. Maybe a little maintenance once or twice a month.

How did I miss this thread? Catching up now.
also, thank you sir for the pms that helped me figure out some of the odds and ends.

I'm going to start running biopellets soon. I'm probably going to get the brs reactor and run it with a maxijet. I've already got one so it's worth a try. I really don't see it being a problem. Maybe a little maintenance once or twice a month.
keep us posted how it works for you. having these "smaller" tanks than some of the big reefs that run them it should be a really economical way to keep the nitrates down.

dont know if i should run pellets and gfo. ive read one negates the need for the other, respectively.

Yea It should be interesting. From what I've read I really think their gonna be as common carbon and skimmers within the next couple years. Honestly they sound too good to be true.

dont know if i should run pellets and gfo. ive read one negates the need for the other, respectively.

IMO running both is overkill. Had a friend who ran both. Nitrates and Phosphates were always 0. His corals looked horrible. They need a bit of both. I'd just run one and dial it in as needed. Very tricky to run both and dial them in.

Back
Top Bottom