Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2012, 02:46 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Freak

I seen on another thread that ur planning on a rke. R u planning on having more than one tank on it? I just don't really know wth else I would do with my rkl. The only thing I might have to debate on in the future is what's more important salinity or net module. Cause I do plan on running ozone. It would be nice if the lite had 5 modules, or 8 outlet power strip, or sl2 had orp, or net was built in.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lol. My bad that wasn't u.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAhner View Post
I seen on another thread that ur planning on a rke. R u planning on having more than one tank on it? I just don't really know wth else I would do with my rkl. The only thing I might have to debate on in the future is what's more important salinity or net module. Cause I do plan on running ozone. It would be nice if the lite had 5 modules, or 8 outlet power strip, or sl2 had orp, or net was built in.

I am hoping to use my RKE with 2 tanks. So far the unit is really easy to work with and with a couple extra modules i think i could have it control another tank. Thats my plan anyways. lol It might be cheaper to just buy an RKL for the second tank, I'll have to see.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Freak

I couldn't imagine it being cheaper. Maybe more convenient to have another head unit. And easier to install if you have to run like a hundred foot rj12.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

just throwing this out there.

i have ordered a tlf 150 phosban reactor. and a lb of bulk gfo. since then i have been reading some neat little things about the biopellets. i have already pulled my dsb in my fuge. i thought it was funny when i did a search on here for biopellets to see what everyone is doing with them, i found carey's thread. i pulled my dsb for the same reason she was/is thinking of doing the same thing.( to clarify. she was asking about removing her refugium and putting a skimmer there then running biopellets too) i dont see many pods in my fuge, my macro doesnt seem to be doing anything. so it may be on its way out too.

anyway im thinking once i see how the gfo works for me i may switch to the pellets when i run out of gfo. if you want to ask me why, here is the answer to that. i have been fighting slime algae for a while now. i have tried the water changes with the reduced feeding to once a day then to once every other when that didnt work. and i have tried chimiclean. pulling the dsb in my fuge helped some. blew my mind how much that did help. maybe my grain size (aragonite seafloor special grade select?) was too large for a dsb and wasnt doing anything for me.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:55 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Kinda nice to know i'm not alone with my experience with a refugium. lol

let me know when you go biopellets cause I probably wont get a chance to get a reactor til end of next month and I'd love to know if that works.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:06 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

you are not alone.

ive still got to get my phosban reactor, i ordered it friday. and then ive got to work though a lb of media. ha, between the two of us, you will be the one running pellets first. i will post it here when/if i switch to pellets. be sure to drop a line when, when you get yours up and running please and thank you!
Old 01-30-2012, 01:21 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I think you should give the algae a chance before buying more components. I also think you should just relax, put the test kits down, and enjoy your reef.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:30 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm probably going to pull my dsb from the display and put in the sump. The only problem I have with it is I really want to be able to vacuum the display better and not worry about disturbing the sand bed. And I also plan to run biopellets. It's just a lot of bang for the buck. Lower nitrate, lower phosphates, maybe a little food for the corals, and you only add them about every six months. That's what's up.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:31 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

thank you mr_x, and i want to get to that point of enjoying it. until this slime, that has over run my tank, is gone or maybe just isolated to my sump i have been apprehensive about adding any corals. i want to say ive been running the macro for 2? months now with no detectable growth.

Tags
40 gallon, breed, breeder

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com