Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAhner View Post
I'm probably going to pull my dsb from the display and put in the sump. The only problem I have with it is I really want to be able to vacuum the display better and not worry about disturbing the sand bed. And I also plan to run biopellets. It's just a lot of bang for the buck. Lower nitrate, lower phosphates, maybe a little food for the corals, and you only add them about every six months. That's what's up.
thanks for adding. like carey said in her thread about them, the more info the better. and sorry to hear about your tank and supplies getting messed with.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

got my premium aquatics shipment today, that and my gate valve that i ordered for my overflow. set it all up and am excited to see what kind of results ill get with the phosban reactor. i also think that my chaeto is finally doing its thing, slowly but doing it. the more i read, the more i like the biopellets. i think that when i use up the gfo ill switch to them. a maxi jet 1200 should be enough right? or do i need something like the mag 3?

if i ever get a sump on my 125 fowlr, ill be going the pellet route with it.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh yeah. and i redid my return pluming to cut back on some of the flow from the mag 9.5. i hope i didnt fix something that wasnt broken. my skimmer was pulling a lot out of the water as it was. oh well, im not going back to the way it was.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:24 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

How did I miss this thread? Catching up now.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:27 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Was your skimmer working non stop before? When I cut back the flow to my plumbing my skimmer was finally able to catch up to the bio load and idle.

Good call on the biopellets. I've seen some very impressive results from folks who use it.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post
Was your skimmer working non stop before? When I cut back the flow to my plumbing my skimmer was finally able to catch up to the bio load and idle.

Good call on the biopellets. I've seen some very impressive results from folks who use it.

i suppose you could say it was running non stop. we will see how it goes by the end of the week. emptied my collection cup just before i hung all my new pipe work.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm going to start running biopellets soon. I'm probably going to get the brs reactor and run it with a maxijet. I've already got one so it's worth a try. I really don't see it being a problem. Maybe a little maintenance once or twice a month.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kio707 View Post
How did I miss this thread? Catching up now.
also, thank you sir for the pms that helped me figure out some of the odds and ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAhner View Post
I'm going to start running biopellets soon. I'm probably going to get the brs reactor and run it with a maxijet. I've already got one so it's worth a try. I really don't see it being a problem. Maybe a little maintenance once or twice a month.
keep us posted how it works for you. having these "smaller" tanks than some of the big reefs that run them it should be a really economical way to keep the nitrates down.

dont know if i should run pellets and gfo. ive read one negates the need for the other, respectively.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea It should be interesting. From what I've read I really think their gonna be as common carbon and skimmers within the next couple years. Honestly they sound too good to be true.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch View Post
dont know if i should run pellets and gfo. ive read one negates the need for the other, respectively.
IMO running both is overkill. Had a friend who ran both. Nitrates and Phosphates were always 0. His corals looked horrible. They need a bit of both. I'd just run one and dial it in as needed. Very tricky to run both and dial them in.

Tags
40 gallon, breed, breeder

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com