Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

my 40 gallon breeder questions.

ive got 2 40 gallon breeder saltwater tanks. one has a dsb and sump, and one with a shallow sand bed.

oh and when i say "sweetie pie" im making reference to tracie6283. we live together and one tank is "hers" and one is "mine" and because we live together and i may have my hands in the tank while she post questions directly relating to the same aquarium my hands are in.

this thread is for my tank. it the one with the dsb in the dt and sump with a skimmer , refugium, and a mag 9.5 return pump

k so starting off... again.

my mind is not yet made up if i want to go reef or just fowlr.

i currently have one korilia 1400 gph power head. im starting to wonder if i should get 2 smaller power heads. but am at a loss as to what they should be. i know i want to stick with hydor korilias so i think my sizes are 425 550 750 and 1050

could i please have recommendations for both fowlr and reef situations?

and im wondering if these would be a good choice for a reef tank. even if i had to buy two of them
LED Reef Bright

Old 12-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

update.

i have pulled the 1400 gph koralia and bought 2 koralia 425's so far im liking it. between them and the flow of the return pump through a diy spray bar im ok with the circulation for now.

i currently have what i think is a female banggai cardinal, i would really like to get a second banggai. should i be mindful of getting a male or does it matter?

still wondering about the led reef bright lights.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you made a good decision in pulling out the 1400 and replacing it with two smaller ones. I will be using two 1400's for my 125g.

Not 100% sure on the Cardinals. I have to PJ's now, and one of them has never held babies so I assume they are both male. Occasionally one will chase the other out of his way, but it definitely isn't anything serious. I am not sure if it is the same with Bangaii's though.
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

a mag 9.5 is to much in my opinnion, i would have probably gone with a mag 7 or even a 5, especially since you have a refugium, slower rates re better through them. what is your skimmer pump rated at?
Old 01-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks for the input on the cardinals.

i built my sump,originally, for a 75gallon. hence the 9.5 and my skimmer is rated for 150gallon.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

on another update. sweetie pie's little brother is setting up his first sw tank as a nano reef. he is 18 and trying to do it as cheap and right as possible. that said i donated some of my substrate to him and took out the dsb i had in my dt.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

dont get the LED lights for a reef, Go with a 4bulb t5ho you will get much better results then the LED, LEDS are only good if you spend alot of money on high end leds otherwise the power just isnt there.
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs View Post
dont get the LED lights for a reef, Go with a 4bulb t5ho you will get much better results then the LED, LEDS are only good if you spend alot of money on high end leds otherwise the power just isnt there.
thank you. i dont think anyone could have said it better or put it more simply.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeetwitch View Post
thanks for the input on the cardinals.

i built my sump,originally, for a 75gallon. hence the 9.5 and my skimmer is rated for 150gallon.

still wouldn't use that for a 75g, i would progably put a 9.5 on a 125+ gallon. there is a general rule of thumb for a refugium, 5x the water volume, or the GPH of your skimmer pump. the slower the flow rate through your fuge the more nutrients the micro and macro algaes can soak up, so there is no point running a big pump, it'll just consume more power and reef tanks are already power hungry.

mr.X ran his onyl 150g wit ha mag 5 until he took it down, and his corals were awesome
Old 01-19-2012, 12:05 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

hey so a little update. i just picked up a coralife lunar 4 bulb t5ho light fixture. i got it used from the lfs. (the price was right)

just replaced the 10k's with ati aqua blue specials. next paycheck im getting 2 ati blue plus bulbs to replace the actinics.

what can i not have in my tank, as far as corals or anemones go?

also i may have jumped the gun and got a green bubble tip anemone.

Tags
40 gallon, breed, breeder

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com