My 45 Gal. Reef Build - First Timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Been long time since I posted on this site. A lot has changed. Got my sump built and installed. Did a little electrical work and received a skimmer as partial payment. Added a few corals, you can see one in my avitar. A guy posted that he was looking for a portable heater. I told him I had one and that what ever he thought was fare would be fine. After I gave it to him he came back asking if I wanted his Bleeding Apple Scoly. :) I also added a couple of nems. One RBTA and one GBTA. The clowns didn't take to the rose until after they discovered how much they liked the green. LOL Today when the lights come on and everything is opened up I will take a new vid and post it.

OK. Here is today's video. Unfortunately my GBTA and RBTA were not fully extended or bubbled up. But... Hope you enjoy.

That is a Blue Tip Stag Horn. It was given to me by a local reefer. He gave me that, the Toadstool Mushroom, the Duncan and the shell with all the zoas on it. He did it just to help a "New Reefer" get started. :) Turns out, he is one of my competitors in my work but we have become friends.

rdnelson99 said:
OK. Here is today's video. Unfortunately my GBTA and RBTA were not fully extended or bubbled up. But... Hope you enjoy.

I did enjoy! Looks great!

It is about 3" long by 2" wide. I saw one at a LFS today for $300. About the same size but not as pretty. It was almost all green. I think it was a good trade for an old heater I hadn't used in 6 years.

rdnelson99 said:
It is about 3" long by 2" wide. I saw one at a LFS today for $300. About the same size but not as pretty. It was almost all green. I think it was a good trade for an old heater I hadn't used in 6 years.

Very good trade!! What are the lighting requirments for scolys?

I have a DIY 6 Lamp 54W T5 fixture and use Wave Port lamps. All my corals seem to do great under that lighting.

I forgot to mention that I also build and installed a DIY Auto Top Off while I have been gone. Works like a charm so far. :) I will try to post a build thread later and show it off a bit. LOL

Our RBTA is in full glory today.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 120
Yesterday was our annual reef club Frag swap. Picked up 5 free frags and one free colony. Because cash is tight I was only able to make one purchase. Meet our new clam. :). I have wanted a clam since I started the tank. Got this one for $40.

Attachments

• image-2832748411.jpg
    image-2832748411.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 75
  • image-3614308395.jpg
    image-3614308395.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 75
rdnelson99 said:
Yesterday was our annual reef club Frag swap. Picked up 5 free frags and one free colony. Because cash is tight I was only able to make one purchase. Meet our new clam. :). I have wanted a clam since I started the tank. Got this one for $40.

Very cool man!! How'd you get them for free!?

Also, cool clam. Whats their light requirments?

Gboy66 said:
Very cool man!! How'd you get them for free!?

Also, cool clam. Whats their light requirments?

Clams require high light and very good water quality. That is why I waited for 8 months to get one. The tank should be well established.

The club gave two free frags to anyone who came. Volunteers got first pick and a few extras, paying members got second pick and the anyone else who came picked from what was left. Close two 2000 frags were given away. Not to mention the vendors and members who were selling tons of stuff. Had a great time and a came home with a new 120 tank, stand and canopy. Well ok I am just storing it for the club until they give it away in a raffle at the end of the year. :)

This RBTA is taking over my tank. :) When I bought it a couple months ago for $50 it was advertised as a 4". Hard to tell from the vid but it is about 6" - 7" front to back and 5" side to side right now. Got to love it.

Back
Top Bottom