My 45 Gal. Reef Build - First Timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Theyre not exactly maales yet either, but juveniles. If you had several of them the second most dominant one will become male.

After adding 2 clown fish, 10 crab and 5 snails 12 hours ago (initial stocking) I have the following test results. I ran a complete Saltwater and Reef test even though I have no corals because I wanted to see where I stand. I am using filtered tap water but not RO/DI and I wanted to see if I really needed to spend another $70.00 +/- right this minute. I have had some algae (I think it is hair algae) but it has not been bad and the CUC immediately went to work on it so I am not so sure if using filtered tap water is going to be that bad a deal for me as long as I keep an eye on it. Based on these results, I think my water quality is in good shape. What do you think?

Temp. 79
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Calcium 520+ (may have messed that one up. Will have to try again)
KH 7
Phosphate 0

Side note....

The Koi in our pond have been having a bit more fun than we figured. Tonight, we noticed at least 2 and maybe 3 new baby fish. Actually, they aren’t even babies anymore. They are almost the size of a gold fish you would buy from the pet store. Our pond is seriously overstocked now. We are either going to have to find someone with a pond who wants some fish or I am going to have to dig a MUCH bigger pond. Before lone, I won’t have to mow in the back yard. I will just need scuba gear.

Side note....

The Koi in our pond have been having a bit more fun than we figured. Tonight, we noticed at least 2 and maybe 3 new baby fish. Actually, they aren’t even babies anymore. They are almost the size of a gold fish you would buy from the pet store. Our pond is seriously overstocked now. We are either going to have to find someone with a pond who wants some fish or I am going to have to dig a MUCH bigger pond. Before lone, I won’t have to mow in the back yard. I will just need scuba gear.

lol this made me crack up

lol this made me crack up

Yes, you can laugh. You are not the one who has to do all this work just so these little buggers can keep propgating. :facepalm:

Why can't I just buy my wife diamond rings and new cars for her birthdays. I think it would be cheaper and less work. Instead, I have to come up with all these things that mean tons of work for me for years to come. LOL Just kidding. I love to watch her stare at the tank or when she goes out after dark with the flashlight to watch the fish and search for the frogs that have made our two ponds there breeding grounds.

The only thing more expensve than a hapy wife, is an unhappy one.

Now that is a line worth steeling. :angel: I love it. Been there, done that and paid for the T-Shirt for about 15 years until my daughter turned 18. Got a good one now though. We have been together almost 18 years. now.

I know I shouldn't say this but.... I am thrilled with how things are coming along. One week ago I added a couple of clowns, 10 hermit crabs and 5 snails. What little bit of hair algae I had was gone in a couple days and everyone happy. Then, I noticed some bubble algae and took the recomendation to add some emerald crab so on Thursday night I added three. Within 24 hours all the bublle algae was gone. Emeralds seem to be happy as well (take a look at my thread about my "Dancing Emerald Crab). He is quickly becoming my fav.

Todays water sampe (haven't done a PWC in a week) is as follows:
Temp 79
Sal 1.025
PH 8
Am 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Calcium 460
Hardness 143.2 kh
Phosphates 0

Today, my wife and I are going to look closely at fish and coral to get a better plan on stocking. We will most likely pick up a new fish and I thing I will get a couple of fags to get started. :) I am think a Toadstool Mushroom Leather and some Candy Cane. Would love a Torch but I think I should wait a bit on that.

Huge thanks to everyone here for getting me this far in just over a month. You guys have taught me a ton.

rdnelson99 said:
I know I shouldn't say this but.... I am thrilled with how things are coming along. One week ago I added a couple of clowns, 10 hermit crabs and 5 snails. What little bit of hair algae I had was gone in a couple days and everyone happy. Then, I noticed some bubble algae and took the recomendation to add some emerald crab so on Thursday night I added three. Within 24 hours all the bublle algae was gone. Emeralds seem to be happy as well (take a look at my thread about my "Dancing Emerald Crab). He is quickly becoming my fav.

Todays water sampe (haven't done a PWC in a week) is as follows:
Temp 79
Sal 1.025
PH 8
Am 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Calcium 460
Hardness 143.2 kh
Phosphates 0

Today, my wife and I are going to look closely at fish and coral to get a better plan on stocking. We will most likely pick up a new fish and I thing I will get a couple of fags to get started. :) I am think a Toadstool Mushroom Leather and some Candy Cane. Would love a Torch but I think I should wait a bit on that.

Huge thanks to everyone here for getting me this far in just over a month. You guys have taught me a ton.

+1 on the thanks

Here is the best pic of one coral I picked up yesterday. It has been in the tank about 14 hours when this shot was taken. The LFS told me what it is but I asked so many questions I pushed it out of my head. LOL I posted asking for an ID and one suggested Star Polyp but said it should have a purple base if it were. Any ideas?

rdnelson99 said:
Here is the best pic of one coral I picked up yesterday. It has been in the tank about 14 hours when this shot was taken. The LFS told me what it is but I asked so many questions I pushed it out of my head. LOL I posted asking for an ID and one suggested Star Polyp but said it should have a purple base if it were. Any ideas?

Star polps is correct.It will take a little time for it to open fully,assuming all your parameters are ok.One of my favorites.

Attachments

• image-40863667.jpg
    image-40863667.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 138
Very nice Ricksreef. Someone else identified my as a encrusting gorgonian which is basically the same and thoght to be a star polyp by many. The man differance from what I ahve read is the base on a star polyp is purple where as this is white. But.....if it ends up looking like yours I am happy. :)

Not much to add this week other than our Fire Shrimp molted during the night. Sure glad I had read about others molting or I am sure I would have thought it died. LOL Letting things settle in (and the bank account replenish) before we make anymore additions. Still have perfect readings when I test. I am extreamly pleased with how stable this tank seems to be (at least so far). :) I will try to post a couple pictures later today.

Noticed a small something growing out of my candy cane coral last night. With the help of some of the regulars around here I was able to confirm my fear that it was Aptasia. Dosed it tonight with some Aptasia-X. Hope it does the trick.

On the brighter side, the 1-1/2 week old candy cane is doing wonderful. It is gaining some very nice color and one of the orginal three heads (or is it polyp) has already spit.

Now after 1-1/2 weeks our Fire Shrimp has decided it isn't such a scary world after all. Last night I noticed him under a rock at the opposite end of the tank from the one he as been living at. Tonight, he is all over the tank. In a different spot everytime I look. Makes him a lot easier to see. :)

Ok, here is our final (at least that is the plan) stock list.

45 Gal (36”L x 12”W x 24” Tall)
Already Have:
Ocellaris Clown x 2
6 Line Wrasse x 1
Fire Shrimp x 1
Emerald Crab x 3

Hermit Crab x 10
Snails x 15

Future:
Blue Green Chromis x 3
Diamond Watchman Goby x 1
Coral Beauty x 1

Looks good to me! When is your next addition planned?

Most likely this weekend if I can find a nice Coral Beauty at a good price. My birthday is on the 8th so that will be my gift from my wife. :) How does this work? She gets an entire SW setup and I get one fish. LOL Just kidding.

Back
Top Bottom