Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2011, 01:22 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Theyre not exactly maales yet either, but juveniles. If you had several of them the second most dominant one will become male.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

After adding 2 clown fish, 10 crab and 5 snails 12 hours ago (initial stocking) I have the following test results. I ran a complete Saltwater and Reef test even though I have no corals because I wanted to see where I stand. I am using filtered tap water but not RO/DI and I wanted to see if I really needed to spend another $70.00 +/- right this minute. I have had some algae (I think it is hair algae) but it has not been bad and the CUC immediately went to work on it so I am not so sure if using filtered tap water is going to be that bad a deal for me as long as I keep an eye on it. Based on these results, I think my water quality is in good shape. What do you think?

Temp. 79
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Calcium 520+ (may have messed that one up. Will have to try again)
KH 7
Phosphate 0

Old 08-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Side note....

The Koi in our pond have been having a bit more fun than we figured. Tonight, we noticed at least 2 and maybe 3 new baby fish. Actually, they aren’t even babies anymore. They are almost the size of a gold fish you would buy from the pet store. Our pond is seriously overstocked now. We are either going to have to find someone with a pond who wants some fish or I am going to have to dig a MUCH bigger pond. Before lone, I won’t have to mow in the back yard. I will just need scuba gear.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:44 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99 View Post
Side note....

The Koi in our pond have been having a bit more fun than we figured. Tonight, we noticed at least 2 and maybe 3 new baby fish. Actually, they arenít even babies anymore. They are almost the size of a gold fish you would buy from the pet store. Our pond is seriously overstocked now. We are either going to have to find someone with a pond who wants some fish or I am going to have to dig a MUCH bigger pond. Before lone, I wonít have to mow in the back yard. I will just need scuba gear.
lol this made me crack up

Live streams down until my lighting schedule is back to normal
newbjank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbjank View Post
lol this made me crack up
Yes, you can laugh. You are not the one who has to do all this work just so these little buggers can keep propgating.

Why can't I just buy my wife diamond rings and new cars for her birthdays. I think it would be cheaper and less work. Instead, I have to come up with all these things that mean tons of work for me for years to come. LOL Just kidding. I love to watch her stare at the tank or when she goes out after dark with the flashlight to watch the fish and search for the frogs that have made our two ponds there breeding grounds.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
You could always sell the koi fry for some tank/pond upgrades
Old 08-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtyboh View Post
You could always sell the koi fry for some tank/pond upgrades
Not a bad idea. I will have to check into that. Could use some free upgrades. LOL
Old 08-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only thing more expensve than a hapy wife, is an unhappy one.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezon View Post
The only thing more expensve than a hapy wife, is an unhappy one.
Now that is a line worth steeling. I love it. Been there, done that and paid for the T-Shirt for about 15 years until my daughter turned 18. Got a good one now though. We have been together almost 18 years. now.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know I shouldn't say this but.... I am thrilled with how things are coming along. One week ago I added a couple of clowns, 10 hermit crabs and 5 snails. What little bit of hair algae I had was gone in a couple days and everyone happy. Then, I noticed some bubble algae and took the recomendation to add some emerald crab so on Thursday night I added three. Within 24 hours all the bublle algae was gone. Emeralds seem to be happy as well (take a look at my thread about my "Dancing Emerald Crab). He is quickly becoming my fav.

Todays water sampe (haven't done a PWC in a week) is as follows:
Temp 79
Sal 1.025
PH 8
Am 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Calcium 460
Hardness 143.2 kh
Phosphates 0

Today, my wife and I are going to look closely at fish and coral to get a better plan on stocking. We will most likely pick up a new fish and I thing I will get a couple of fags to get started. I am think a Toadstool Mushroom Leather and some Candy Cane. Would love a Torch but I think I should wait a bit on that.

Huge thanks to everyone here for getting me this far in just over a month. You guys have taught me a ton.

Tags
build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com