My 45 Gal. Reef Build - First Timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
By the way, the Kole Yellow Eyed Tang is named Niel. After Niel Armstrong (my childhood hero) since the Appolo Astronauts drank "Tang" while on there missions. :)

Love the name! Kinda why I went with pootie "tang" for my blue tang, just seems appropriate. lol Of course your reference is much more respectful than a crappy movie by chris rock and wanda sykes. rofl

Love the name! Kinda why I went with pootie "tang" for my blue tang, just seems appropriate. lol Of course your reference is much more respectful than a crappy movie by chris rock and wanda sykes. rofl

LOL Whatever floats your boat. :) I have spent my life from 3rd grade on wanting to walk on the moon. Something tells me I that goal may be a bit "Lofty". LOL Oh, well, we can always dream right?

Oh, and by the way, that should be Neil not Niel. LOL I was a bit dislexic yesterday. :)

Short update. An AA friend wanted to see pics of my Kole so I did some looking back at the videos I have taken and it hit me just how muck the coraline has progressed on the back of my tank in the past month. Wow. This video was taken to illustrate how much flow I had to my Hammer Coral frag but has some Guest Appearances by my Kole. Tonight, I will get another video and you can compare the difference in the coraline if you like. Surprised me.

rdnelson99's Channel - YouTube

Wow it's sooo active in there! I love it! That kole tang is too funny always seems to be in your camera shot. lol But looks awesome! Well done!

Thanks Carey. I appreciate it.

Yes, he is a camera hog. LOL I am very happy with how my tank has progressed. After reading everthing on this site, I find mine to be extreamly stable. While I can take a little credit for that, I think mainly I just got lucky. :) Can't wait to finish up the DIY 6 Lamp fixture and get it going. Maybe then, my corals will start to pop a bite and I can concetrate on getting a few more.

Made some good progress on my DIY 6 Lamp T5HO 54W fixture today. Whats left? 1-Maybe one more coat of paint. 2-Install the hanging gear. 3-Purchase the lamps. 4-Get it hung from the cieling and fire it up. :)

Not sure my wife is happy about the fact that our yard looks like a double wide should be parked in the middle of it with a 67 Mercury up on cinder blocks but hey, you can't have everything right????? :)

Made some good progress on my DIY 6 Lamp T5HO 54W fixture today. Whats left? 1-Maybe one more coat of paint. 2-Install the hanging gear. 3-Purchase the lamps. 4-Get it hung from the cieling and fire it up. :)

Not sure my wife is happy about the fact that our yard looks like a double wide should be parked in the middle of it with a 67 Mercury up on cinder blocks but hey, you can't have everything right????? :)

Besides, if the HOA President's yard looks like this it takes the pressure off of the rest of the hood. See, alway have the general public in mind. That's just how I roll. :angel:

Update. Skipped my PWC last weekend so todays test was after 2 weeks without doing anything (not even top off) to the tank.
Temp 79, Sal 1.025, PH 8.1, Am 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, Cal 440, KH 8 (143.2) and Phosphate 0. To steal from McDonalds...."I am Loving It". This tank has been so stable from the very get go. After reading about all the trouble others have had getting things in line, I feel extreamly lucky.

Today, I am going to take all apparatus out and clean it all very well, while I have it out, I will scrape the coraline off the front and sides. For now, I am leaving it on the back. I am adding a blue background that I think will make te coraline look nice on the back of the tank.

Also, I am going to try to get my DIY fixture hung and get out to buy the lamps. Will be very nice to have that project complete and start working on getting some corals going. Pictures to follow. :)

Looks great man, you have nearly all the fish I plan on getting for my 55g that's currently cycling! Especially love the Kole Tang and Six-Line Wrasse. Have you had any trouble keeping them or have they been great?

Looks great man, you have nearly all the fish I plan on getting for my 55g that's currently cycling! Especially love the Kole Tang and Six-Line Wrasse. Have you had any trouble keeping them or have they been great?

I have had no problem what so ever. I have been amazed with how stable the tank is and all the fish have been great. They are all buddies and take turns hanging with each other. LOL Not once have I seen anything resembling agression in the tank. The only other fish I plan on adding is a Diamond Goby. Then, I am going to concentrate on corals. :)

Thanks twitch. I appreciate it. Kurtyboh, the tang is a Kole tang which doesn't require as big of a tank. He should do fine for a couple years. I know that as he grows I will either have to upgrade the tank or find him a new home. Already working on the new tank. LOL

I was explaining to my wife that the shroud for the light fixture had to be built so big because the fixture I had was 4' long. Then I threw in "But if we were to get a bigger tank we won't have to change the fixture." Her response was "That would be nice". That is a yes right???? I mean she didn't say "Not On Your Life!!!" So that has to be a yes. hehehehehe

Back
Top Bottom