Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #101
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
You haven't posted the pics of your new inhabitants....
okay, okay... you caught me!

I havent named them yet. They are not ORA, but they are tank bred in Texas, and were shipped up to a Dallas LFS after Hurricane Ike took out the power in the store they were at in Houston.

I really like the darkness of the top one (with the extra black), but they assure me that he's is a false percula, not a true. They seem to stay together already, and are still checking out their new habitat.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:12 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
A very nice looking pair of clowns. Congrats

Old 09-26-2008, 05:54 PM   #103
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

As the clowns age and are paired up the black will spread. There is a mated pair of clowns at my LFS that are nearly all black and white with just a touch of orange on their bellies. I remember when they first got these two fish in and they were super bright orange. It is something that seems to happen only in True Percs and False Percs.

One pair of my clowns has started getting darker across their backs.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice Activist

Another day... another post...

Yesterday, I exchanged the Mag 9.5 for a QuietOne (I think a 3000) for my return pump. My tank temp dropped about 1.5 degrees since (even with the lights on). I just had to buy another 1" union (threaded this time) for the new pump, and it was a 2 minute replacement since the unions fit together perfectly

I added some algae in the fuge today, and put the fuge light on the night timer plugs. When I went to a local club member to get the cheato, he ended up giving me a couple frags too.

Today I plan on pulling my closed loop apart to try to fix any "leaks" in it.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #105
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Isn't it a little early to be adding Fag in a newly established tank?
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:56 PM   #106
Aquarium Advice Activist

They seem to be thriving as they are growing like crazy under the VHO lights.

Ive been watching my water chemistry pretty close since I put the clowns in and the nitrates are coming down naturally now. This is probably because of the diatoms (which just bloomed naturally) and the cheato which I have in the fuge.

Still 0 Ammonia and 0 Nitrites. The water temp is also going 79 - 80.5 even when the AC is off in the house since I replaced the return pump with something cooler. I also have the closedloop fixed, and its running too. I think I am finally ready to stop messing with the tank every moment I am free
Old 10-06-2008, 01:54 AM   #107
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have been cutting down the number of hours I have the lights on to try to help with this diatom problem. I am thinking of doing a 5 gallon water change every other day to get my nitrates back down to 0ish. I did a 20 gallon change today, and they went from 25 to 5.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #108
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

How often and what are you feeding your fish?

Do you have any sponges in your filtration anywhere? A prefilter on your overflow box? It is possible that there is detritus being collected somewhere and that is causing a spike in nitrates. As that macro starts to grow in your fuge you will likely see the nitrates stablize and or drop some.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:55 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am feeding every 2 days, and I thaw and rinse the food before giving it to them. I have no sponges anywhere in the system, and no prefilters on the overflow, return pump or skimmer. I didn't get to check the nitrates last night, but will tonight when I get home.

I did notice that the fuge is starting to get a little red slime in it (on the chaeto and on a rock in there)... is that because I dont have enough water flow through it? I'll try to get pics tonight.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:34 AM   #110
Aquarium Advice Activist

Its not slime in the fuge, its just Coraline... Boy does stuff look different under different lighting (and when its 4 feet below you).

When I ran my water test on the 8th, my nitrates were down to 2. The "brown stuff" as my father calls it, is going away. Probably because of the CuC that came in on the 8th.

They are bulldozing along, eating everything in sight... it is really quiet awesome to watch.

I also noticed that the Coraline algae was starting to spread to my other liverock. Most of my liverock wasn't kept under lights, and had a bleached out color. Now I have purple spots showing up on most of the live rock, and some of the baserock.

I also picked up 2x 175w MH ballasts + wiring + 2x MH bulbs from a guy in the local club during our meeting for $75. We test fired them there on his Moguls, and I swear im still seeing ghosts from it.

I also started finishing the back side of the stand tonight. I got one side on, so the refugium light doesn't bother people so much (its on during the night cycle). I just need to figure out how I want to make the power pretty before I do the other side.

Now off to bed I go..

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com