Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2008, 01:36 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
The Mags are known to be great pumps. I donb't have a skimmer, but I hear you get what you pay for. I believe the coralife is a good skimmer.
I love my Finnex titanium heaters:
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...ode=Finnexheat
I use two in each tank for redundancy.
Which controller do you have on the heaters, or are you using the ultra compact model?

Also, have you guys seen/used the Quiet One pumps? I was recommended those over the Mag Drives for external usage.

How deep in water does an Octopus skimmer have to be? I can't seem to find any "action" shots of a skimmer like that running in a sump.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:40 AM   #12
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I used a QO pump for many years. Worked great, and was pretty quiet...lol. I used it internally, so dunno if it runs any different externally.

Octo skimmers should be in a constant water level between 8"-10".
This is mine...in about 7 1/2".

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hogie, keep in mind that if you drill the 4th hole for your return, what ever height you make that hole is how far down your water will drain if you have a power outage.

I use mag pumps bot internal and external, they are great pumps. I have not complaints.

I would look into upgrading the skimmer. The octopus skimmers are great for the money.

As for your lighting, if you decide to go MH you may want to look at 175w ballast/bulbs. More then that may be too much for a 55g tank.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccapt View Post
So when are you gonna cut a Ĺ" off those pvc legs? :p
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
Hogie, keep in mind that if you drill the 4th hole for your return, what ever height you make that hole is how far down your water will drain if you have a power outage.
I was planning it from the way your build out was. The return was going to be right below the overflow line

Quote:
I use mag pumps bot internal and external, they are great pumps. I have not complaints.
How do you connect them to your system? You have a closed loop, right? Im just worried about them leaking on the external configuration (I plan on having it sitting inside the sump for the return).

Quote:
I would look into upgrading the skimmer. The octopus skimmers are great for the money.
The Octopus NW-100 would be good for me then? It is rated for 75gallons. What is the difference between the Recirculating and the non-Recirculating Octopus skimmers?

Quote:
As for your lighting, if you decide to go MH you may want to look at 175w ballast/bulbs. More then that may be too much for a 55g tank.
Thanks. I was going to wait on lighting until after I got everything else running, and the system starting to cycle.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The holes I drilled in the 150 were for the closed loop only. The new 120 (post 150 and 120 bottom crack) does not have any holes drilled in it.

I have my return plumbed up and over the top of the tank. Drilling for a return line from your sump can spell disaster.

If you are going to have a closed loop you can easily use the Mag5 externally. Connect the intake of the pump to your center/intake hole and connect the outflow of the pump to your plumbing for the scwd and those to the other two holes. I had mine running like that on my 72g tank for well over a year until something got sucked into my scwd and broke it.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:16 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
I used a QO pump for many years. Worked great, and was pretty quiet...lol. I used it internally, so dunno if it runs any different externally.
Thanks for the information. I might get one of each to see how they go.

Quote:
Thanks for the pic! What is that it is standing on? Is that grating something I can get at HomeDepot/Lowes?
Old 08-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, I guess it would be better if I dont drill, so I am going to make a HOB return from the sump and a Over the back Closed Loop like Melevsreef.com shows to make them.

I was also just going through the box of goodies that came with the tank, and there appears to be two sets of Ballasts. One for Compact Fluorescent laps (just 1 connector), and one for dual bulbs for some T8 and T12 flourescents. Would the Compact Flourescent be okay until I start adding corals?
Old 08-21-2008, 05:00 PM   #19
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I would get the NW150. It's only a few $$ more than the 110. The difference between a recirculating and non-recirc is the recirc can be run externally (outside the sump), but also needs a seperate feed pump.

The skimmer is on eggcrate. You can get it at HD or Lowes in the lighting dept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
So when are you gonna cut a Ĺ" off those pvc legs? :p
Wise guy...lol. I swear, I measured everything right when I built it.....
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Another question... If I want to start the cycle in my tank, should I have the sump in place and working, or can that be added later? If I had the closed loop running, would that be enough? I am trying to figure out what exactly I need to purchase first to get the cycle running.

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com