My 55g Reef Buildout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was like Marc's from Melevsreef.com.

I had some leaking issues from a bad nipple I purchased, then I got that fixed, and the teflon tape didn't seal right when I put the new one in. After that was fixed, I got a slow (2-3 drops every 10 minutes or so) from the Mag7 seal. I dont have a picture of it (its tore down right now, as I rethink this).

I was thinking... Maybe I could build it to hang from the canopy? That would let it "leak" into the tank... and wouldnt be this huge thing behind the tank.

I also found a leak at one of the 90 degree angles feeding out of the SQWD (that would be easier to fix than the mag7 leak).

Ah, I found it. I'll have some in about an hour or so. This goes on the inside of the mag seal?

It would go around where the O-ring is on the pump base?

2829094350_7dc2fdb7e0.jpg

I just cracked the outer casing when I screwed in the nipple for the union for the intake. It is causing it to leak I already know where I can get one, but it will be sometime next week before it comes.

Well, Im finishing my sump/refuge and the plumbing to/from it today. I went looking for some LR today @ the local stores (well, 3 total), and didn't find any I liked. I have an ad out at the local club seeing if anybody has any extras for sale (I dont want to pay shipping... if I dont have to).

[update] Sump is finished, but drying. The teeth aren't perfect on the Refuge -> Return area teeth, but they are still pretty good.

And here is the tank as it is sitting right now...
2833506383_bb1388586a.jpg

Last edited:
I bought 80lbs, but shipping weight was 86lbs...

Is that rock porous? They look like some pretty solid pieces with not much surface area. Or are they covered with sediment?

They are porous, its just my powerheads are pointed down a little and caused the bottom sand to kick up on them at one point. Once I get the wavemaker running and the sump return plumbing done, I'll get the rocks cleared up.

I have been looking at lighting solutions for my tank. Would I want like 2x MH setups, then 2x T5's or CF bulbs that span the length of the tank? Some retrofit kits to go into the canopy I already have?

I am looking at LPS corals and a few fish, not anything huge, but I might want to "upgrade" to SPS corals later on without having to re-wire everything (if I am even still on this tank and haven't upgraded).

Maybe something like 36" 1x150W HQI Metal Halide/ 2x39W T5 Fluorescent - 150239

That would give me 1MH and two T5s. Suggestions? I dont want to burn everything.

I would not suggest using 36" bulbs on a 48" tank (assuming you have a standard 55). The ends of the tank will be significantly dimmer, especially if you only use 1 MH in the middle of the tank. MH's cover about a 2' square area.

It is a standard 55g. The problem is that the inside of the canopy is exactly 48". If the bulbs are that, then there is no room for the encaps to plug them into.

I can go with 2x MH, that's not a problem, I just wanted to make sure that something like that is okay to go with.

If you use VHOs for your supplement you can get 46.5" bulbs. They are the same wattage as the 48" but shorter. I use the 46.5" bulbs over my tank. If you are going to use T5s then you can use the 36" bulbs and stagger them. Have the front bulb all the way to the left and the rear bulb all the way to the right. Since the 55 is only 12" wide you shouldn't notice the difference.

As for the 2 MHs I would not go with more then 175w per bulb. More then that and you will cook your tank.

Can I get stuff rated for higher wattage for the MH, but use lower wattage bulbs? Or would that just overdrive the lower wattage bulb at the higher wattage?

Back
Top Bottom