Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks. I plan on getting the stand finished Saturday morning (Friday night is Game night at a friend's house), then I'll probably pickup some RO water to get things running. I really dont want to waste this weekend (My first real 3day weekend in about 2 years, since I was considered essential operations at work).

The heaters should be in today (on truck to be delivered according to tracking), and the Skimmer / Mag 9.5 will be here tomorrow.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:02 PM   #42
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Just to clarify....since you are using marcorock, you will go thru a full cycle. Marcorock is dried out live rock. It has all kinds of dried up dead stuff in and on it. You should scrub as much of the stuff off of it as you can, but it's all you need to kick start the cycle. The marcorock mixed with live rock works real nice.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:15 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh yeah, I didn't think about that. Thanks for the heads up.

Another question. When I rinse my substrate, it should be done with RO water right (compared to tap)?
Old 08-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #44
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I just put some of the sand in an empty 5 gal bucket and put the garden hose to it...lol. At first the water is real milky. When it overflows clear, it's good to go.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, that saves me some trips to the LFS for RO this weekend RO for cleaning base rock though, right?
Old 08-28-2008, 05:20 PM   #46
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Clean it the same way as the sand, with a plastic brush. You don't really need to worry about the RO since you will doing a couple of large PWCs after your cycle.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just got back from Home Depot and the closest LFS. I now have everything (except a paint) to finish the stand. The paint is coming later when my mother comes back to the house. I have 2x 36gallon Brutes for water storage/mixing. 60lbs of Aragonite sand, 50lbs of Salt, 25gallons of RO, some acrylic to make baffles (.220 inch clear).

Last night, my Mag 950, test kits and Octopus Skimmer came via UPS. Now to finish the stand to get rolling this weekend.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Activist

Okay, so I got the stand's front setting up right now.

Since the canopy is already painted black, we are going to do the stand the same way. Our workshop doesn't have AC, and its currently 94F outside, so I work a little, then come back inside and re-hydrate.

Next time I go out, I'll cut the sides for the tank area, then the sump area. Hopefully, I'll be able to sand and paint this afternoon.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:19 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, its all built, and on the floor (omg, it is HEAVY). I sanded it down, and put primer on it (since im painting it and not staining it). It's in the shop right now setting up in primer for me to paint it tomorrow.

I went ahead and put one of the trash cans up and put a powerhead in it with a heater and created my first batch of SW.

Tomorrow should be a fun day for me.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:07 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Activist

And today's progress is pretty much done. I have the doors (for the back side) made, but not hung yet. Everything is painted. For my first stand, it looks better than it should. I have several things I'd do different next time, but they will not stop me from moving it into place tomorrow after this 2nd coat of paint dries.

Here is a picture after the first coat of paint (primer was put on yesterday). And yes, it is an optical illusion that the cabinet is leaning to 1 side. Its the angle of the camera

I also had a close call with my sump tonight. I accidentally dropped a hammer in it from the top of the stand (I was doing a "will it fit in there" test from the front before painting it black). It didn't crack, and seems to hold water just fine. I have it sitting on the back porch full of water tonight to make sure it holds water.

I also got the plumbing for the Mag9.5(sump return) and the overflow to feed to the sump. Just 2 more rocks to scrub tonight, and the sand needs to be washed, but everything is coming together well.

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com