My 55g Reef Buildout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was at a LFS in Plano today and saw some Tonga LR I wanted. I didn't get every piece I wanted, but I did get 2 smaller pieces (to figure out how to stack correctly).

They are 2 flat pieces. I have them in the tank now, and I'll start playing with aquascaping after I do this apache rebuild for a friend on his server;)

2851443383_1edb0e79e7.jpg

2852275796_b4933d8579.jpg

Last edited:
And I just checked the mail (had to wait for the sun to go down because it was too hot to walk that far with it up), and my Mag7 Impeller Cover was there! Im going to see about getting the closed loop, looping;)

I just put my first occupants in the tank. I was at the local store, and couldn't resist them. They are so cute!

2853437757_875d7a7b19.jpg

And I just put the closed loop back together with the replacement parts. Its running (inside a drip pan just incase) now, and the shrimp are moving around.

A local guy is parting out his 165gallon tank, and I get to have the 10" x 18" x 4" piece of Tonga in it. He is just selling off the corals sitting on it first (I dont mind waiting). I also picked up another couple of pieces of Tonga today (you can see one of the pieces in that top picture as it looks way to dark compared to the rest).

My next step is getting the sump finished while this cycles.

By the way, since I have more base rock than I'll use, can I break some up with a hammer to make it rubble, and add it to the inlet of the sump where Im going to have some LR rubble? It will cure slowly this way, right?

Took my first ammonia test today. What is the difference between "Total" and "Free" Ammonia (from a Seachem test).

My Free Ammonia appears to be 0.0 (after 30 mins)

My Total Ammonia appears to be 0.1

This is about 24 hours after adding the shrimp

I got the Sump up and running tonight.

2866291781_46f00123e1.jpg

I just need to build a stand to bring the skimmer out of the water some.

Tests tonight are:

ph: 8.0
nitrAte: 6
nitrIte: 5
alkalinity: 4.5meq/L
spacific gravity: 1.026
ammonia: the test isn't turning colors (Seachem test).

The shrimp have rotted away.

I think I'll take a sample to a LFS tomorrow after/during work and have them test ammonia to make sure.

Well, my Ammonia is still 0, and my nitrites are off the scale. We just re-arranged the rocks while my sister-in-law was over here today. I also found out that my new lights (well, any lights) wont fit under my canopy. I guess I am going to be heading to Home Depot after dinner to see about building a new one so I can get my reflector + bulbs under there this weekend.

I just finished testing the tank, and its Ammonia is still 0, and the nitrites are 0.1 (this is WAY down from just 48 hours ago when it was 25ppm).

My water has also cleared up a lot. Just need to finish building the canopy today.

25ppm??? Wow, that is really high. It sounds like your cycle is almost complete.

25ppm??? Wow, that is really high. It sounds like your cycle is almost complete.

Well, I had 2 shrimp in there for a long time, finally took them out on Thursday last week. Once I did that, the nitrite stopped climbing. I just finished a full test range right now, and Ammonia is still 0, NitrItes are between 0 and 0.1 (its hard to tell where with the color of the Seachem kit). NitrAtes are at 35, ph is 8.2, with 34ppm on salinity.

I just finished building the new canopy (had to add 6 inches to the design to get lights under it).

It isn't painted, but everything appears to be good on it to replace the old one.

New:
2880567283_71c2522cae_m.jpg

Old:
2866291781_46f00123e1_m.jpg

You can see how I used 1x12 boards instead of 1x6 boards that were on the old canopy.

You can also kinda see the rock formation my sister-in-law helped with:)

I'll probably get it primed and painted tomorrow or the day after, and my reflector / lights mounted as soon as they are dry.

Right now I am trying to find instructions on how to operate my Octopus Skimmer (it didn't come with any, except where parts go, not how deep it needs to be in the water, etc).

Actually, I am looking at a webcam for this tank. I found a decent wireless camera that will FTP upload from newegg.

Now, for my daily question;) What should I use for a clean up crew? I rather not have anything which will move rocks around (hermits do that, right?), but I dont really want the type of snails that will die if they fall over because they can't right themselves. I need things that are reef safe as I hope to have LPS corals some day.

Suggestions/Comments?

Canopy is almost done. It just got its last coat of paint this morning. Then lights get hung in it and it should be ready to rock and roll.

I just got the lights up and running.

I have 2x 46.5" VHO bulbs, one is 50/50, the other is Super Actinic.

2886717490_a038bf44ff.jpg

Now that I have lights on it, it looks like I have microbubbles in the tank.

You can see a close up here. I dont see them when the lights aren't on, but I do when they are... That outlet they appear to be coming out of is my closed loop, and I do not appear to be getting any leaks on it (i just double checked). My Sump return pump is also all the way under water, so I dont think it is coming from that....

There is a little water in the biscuit tin I put the closed loop pump in. It wasn't there last time I checked (yesterday?). It looks like that is where the bubbles are coming from. I haven't found where it is coming out yet. I think I'll get that fixed on Saturday.

I also picked up a QuietOne 3000 pump to replace the Mag 9.5, so that I can try to get the tank temp down a few degrees.

I just got the lights up and running.

I have 2x 46.5" VHO bulbs, one is 50/50, the other is Super Actinic.

2886717490_a038bf44ff.jpg

Now that I have lights on it, it looks like I have microbubbles in the tank.

You can see a close up here. I dont see them when the lights aren't on, but I do when they are... That outlet they appear to be coming out of is my closed loop, and I do not appear to be getting any leaks on it (i just double checked). My Sump return pump is also all the way under water, so I dont think it is coming from that....

I remember when my tank was that clean! heheheh Looking good.

Back
Top Bottom