my 72 gallon bow, more rock???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
is this enough rock? im thinking of putting granite in instead of live rock

image-2549958947.jpg

I would go with some more base rock and let become live rock during the cycling process, I would not use granite as it is extremely dense and non porous the lighter and more porous the rock you can find the better as as it has more surface area for the beneficial bateria to thrive

im kinda on a budget, i have left over granite from my house, is there a place that sells porous rocks

you can check with your lfs or a possibly a landscape supply place, you can often find very porous volcanic rock used for landscaping

I would go with some more base rock and let become live rock during the cycling process, I would not use granite as it is extremely dense and non porous the lighter and more porous the rock you can find the better as as it has more surface area for the beneficial bateria to thrive

+1, you want as much surface area as possible for your bb.

what are some rocks i can use, i cant afford live rock at the moment

Buy base rock you wont need to add it all at once im still adding to my tank that has been running for 2 yrs. I buy 1-2 pieces a week sometimes none at all keep on eye on craig list for deals just be sure and ask if they ever run copper if so leave it.

thanks for the help, the tank will be running soon

Stay away from lava rock it's loaded with iron copper sulfur and all kinds of nastys

im probably going to buy 30 lbs of dry rock and try to make homemade dry rock

you can check with your lfs or a possibly a landscape supply place, you can often find very porous volcanic rock used for landscaping

HI question - how effective is volcanic rock compared to the rocks LFS sells in building a tank? And what would be a good mix ratio of volcanic to reef rock?

Bayinaung said:
HI question - how effective is volcanic rock compared to the rocks LFS sells in building a tank? And what would be a good mix ratio of volcanic to reef rock?

well as Grizz just pointed out there may be iron, sulfur or any number of minerals in volcanic rock that would be undesirable in a reef system so finding base rock would probably be best

Back
Top Bottom