Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

My 90Gallon Build

So I bought a 90 gallon to move everything I have into 1 tank. How should I go abt doing this? Should I let the tank cycle, or would it be ok to go ahead and move everything? I have approx 40 lb of rock total, and plan on getting more. I have 25 lb of sand from my 14 gal biocube, and

Old 11-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Stupid smart phone!!! It posted and I wasn't done! I have a 30gal tank with abt a 2 in sand bed, not sure how many lbs is there.
How much more sand do u think I would need? I have two koralia 240 PHs. I know I will need some bigger ones. What size do you guys recomend? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 11-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
what are your intentions with this tank? a reef? i would probably use a pair of 1000gph power heads if so.
if you are getting more rock i would probably get the rock and then cycle the tank with the new rock, then move everything over.
to make a 2" sand bed in a 90 gallon, you need about 90 pounds of sand.
http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/SandBed.php
Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

As for the old sand unless you plan on rinsing it very well then letting it dry I wouldn't suggest re-using it. I have taken down a number of tanks over my what seems to be a continuous upgrade cycle and the sand will be pretty nasty depending on how long your tank was set up. Save a little to seed the new sand you will place in the 90 and either trash or rinse the old stuff well.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

This is going to be a reef tank. I'm going today to get some more rock and sand, hopefully my powerheads as well. If I use my old sand and rinse it, can I use RO water, or do I need to rinse with salt water? I hope that didn't sound like a stupid question! As far as lighting, I have been looking into one of the combo units. What do u guys think of those?
Old 11-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #6

I've rinsed with reg tap water (put sand in a 5g bucket and stick a hose into it). I figure I use reg tap water to rinse off new sand so old sand shouldn't be any different.
Define "combo" unit ?. I have used Nova extreme Pro's (all T5's) on all of my tanks and now have an outer orbit (2x250 MH and 4x T5) on my 90g. Other than the fan noise I love the shimmer of MH's but I like the color options of the T5's.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

That may be what I do with my sand d/t funds at the moment. That was the kind of combo lights I was talking about. I want some that have the MH and T5. Maybe a blue moon led too.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #8

The Outer Orbits have built in blue and white LED panels (3 panels, 6 LED's each on the 48"). They have been discontinued by Current but you can find quite a few used for sale as people move to LED's. I got mine used for $200 with 4 month old MH bulbs and needing new T5's.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

felix, have you compared your MH fixture to a T5 individually reflected fixture on the same system? i would be curious to see the difference in growth between this one and an 8lamp t5 unit that most people put on their 90gallons. i mean there is almost a 300 watt decrease in power consumption with the t5 unit

now i know that this fixture uses 4 T5s itself but most MH use PC which don't put out the same PAR as t5s which is the reason i'm asking
Old 11-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #10

Before I got this fixture I hung my 36" NEP (6x39w) over the tank as a temp solution and I got nowhere NEAR the same light (granted it was 39w bulbs and not 54's in the 48" fixture so not a completely fair comparison). I had a 33g cube set for a while with a 250mh pendant (talk overkill) and that was my first experience with MH. I personally preferred the brightness of the MH bulbs to when I had the T5's on my old 40 breeder.

I would love to try a 48" NEP fixture over this tank to compare the two but I don't have one to play with locally. This fixture is probably overkill as I'm not a real fan of most SPS anymore but it's only been set up for a few weeks so it's too early to tell.

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com