My basement sump and prop tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here are 3 pics of my new basement sump/fuge and prop tank.

What do you think :)

Attachments

• basement1a.jpg
    basement1a.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 188
  • basement2a.jpg
    basement2a.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 134
  • basement7a.jpg
    basement7a.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 157
My hubby and I are always joking around about the fact that there's no turning back (or selling the house or... ) once we drill that hole in the floor. We've been to several local reefers houses and are amazed at how they all have ended up in their basements! LOL! Nice looking setup. Thanks for sharing it! I'm still doing all I can to keep my system in the stand!

LOL, I had mine in a closet before and I could not even imagine putting it under the stand :) I did not want to drill in the floor but the idea of water getting on the carpet or the basement floor was a factor. I tried to cut the carpet in a way it would cover easily.

I had previously cut the carpet out around the stand due to a water mishap. When I moved the tank, I had a guy come in and patch the carpet. Can't tell anything was ever there now :) The tank had been there about a year.

I have not been able to get my electrician in yet so please ignore the wire mess. It will not stay that way.

Thanks

One way to avoid drilling the hole on the floor is to furnish your basement and put your tank in there

Don't get me started on that! :) I did that in my last house. Tank started in the kitchen and when I finished the basement, I moved it. Year later, we found another house with a nice unfinished basement. Can't afford to finish this one yet. Maybe in a couple of years. I love moving tanks :(

I have hardwood floors and drilled right through them, but I'm not planning to move. If I do, it'll take some work to fix it, but it's not impossible.

I had considered making a rectangular cut and then putting a narrow vent cover over the hole if I ever moved the tank.

Why not go through the walls, I figure drywall is much easier to patch up than floors, and this way you wont be degrading the structural integrity of the flooring... just a thought (thats what I plan to do once I move into a house ... I am looking to buy one this summer :))

Great pics!! I am thinking about doing a similar procedure at my house. Was wondering specifics on your setup:

1. Drilled main tank or overflow..how many GPH??
2. Does all water go into the 75 gallon sump..then how does it get to the Refugium?
3. What size return pumps do you need for head room like that?
4. Drilled floor: how did you end up doing it?? One big hole..or 2 smaller holes?
5. How you you have the plumbing set up?

Thanks

WC

and this way you wont be degrading the structural integrity of the flooring...

Vents are in the floor anyway. I doubt it would hurt structually.

The wall is a good idea too but it would involve a 90 or 45 bend and going straight down was easier :)

1. My tank is drilled on the bottom. Over flow is rated at 600 but I modified it a bit. Not sure what it will handle.
2. Tank drains into the 75 gal sump and the fuge sits in the sump. I have a maxijet 1200 that sits in the sump and pumps into the fuge. Then the fuge drains into the sump.
3. I am using a GenX PCX40 or Mak4 pump. 1190 gph but not at my head height. I have 10 ft ceilings in the basement and my return is almost 5ft off the floor. I lifted the sump and pump off the floor 3ft to help with head. I figure I am running 600-800 gph.
4. 2 small holes in the floor and 1 hole in the carpet.
5. sump drains to pump. 1" PVC up to the 3/4" return pipe. Drain is 1" from the tank and I switch it to 1.5" in the basement.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom