My big project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulm87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm buying a Rena 350 soon and also plan to change my shed into a room for water to mix and another tank to grow corals in, what kind of RO unit should I buy, I'd only need a 75gpd one and also recommend a sump protein skimmer please. Another item of concern is a small and cheap but bright enough light for my coral/frag tank, it'll be 30x24x15 or thereabouts. I'm also going to buy a seneye reef monitor for the main tank too.
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

cool. was reading up on these monitors. i think they have quite a few options that are unnecessary though. why would one need PAR, LUX, and kelvin metering? also, the probe is just under the water line. it's not going to give you accurate light readings there. if you've ever used a PAR or LUX meter, you would know it must be moved around to different parts of the tank and it will give you way different readings depending on where it's placed.

also, ammonia monitoring is a waste. if you are getting ammonia readings after your tank is established, you don't need to worry about corals. you probably won't have any alive.
of all of the things it does, i would say the only things that are of interest are the ph and temp monitoring.

what kind of corals are you intending to keep in the 30" tank?

will the frag tank be connected to the main tank by a common sump? how many gallons of water will the skimmer be maintaining?

I think the par or lux readings are only there so you check your lighting is as intense as it should be, and it'll show when they need to be replaced.

My coral tank is going to be in a separate body of water to the main tank and is only going to be between 15 and 18 inches deep, but I'll need light to penetrate to the bottom so I need a small light fitting.

Also are 6 stage RO units any better than 3 stage units? Does it really that much difference?

Thanks

a cheap PAR meter is around 350 bucks. don't count on this one being accurate.
you want to find a R.O.D.I. unit, not just R.O. many of the ones on ebay have the flavor cartridge at the end, which is basically just an extra carbon cartridge and unnecessary.
you want a 5 micron sediment, carbon block and the membrane, plus the D.I. resin chamber.

as for the frag tank, 30" is not an easy size to cover. i would probably get a 6 bulb t5 fixture. i still don't know what corals you intend to keep, but my old 150 gallon was only 17" tall and i used a pair of 8 lamp t5 HO fixtures over it and sps did very well.

this skimmer would work for you-
Reef Octopus NWB-150 6" Internal Protein Skimmer
or this one-
Bubble Magus BM-NAC7 Cone Protein Skimmer - English

Thanks a lot kmurraylhs, the typhoon Rodi units look great, think I'll get one

Back
Top Bottom