Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

My cat sleeps beside the tanks I think she's dreaming of getting ahold of a fish lol

Old 07-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would recommend not getting clowns, what's the sense in spending a good bit of money on a pair of good looking clowns when they may die due to cycling?? Look into domino damsels or something like that, they are only a few bucks a piece and they generate enough of a bioload.

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would recommend pure ammonia and an API master saltwater test kit.

Why put any fish through a cycle if you don't have to?
Old 07-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosora
I really love to sit in front of my tank, i dont know if my cat share the same idea of the tank though. It is my 4th week cycle, still no ammonia, nitrate & nitrite. Did i had a silent cycle coz i really want to stuff it up with fish & corals this saturday. Stop me or else hahaha i just can't wait.
How much live rock did you put in?
It is entirely possible that if you have one and a half to two lbs. of rock and some of it was live to start with you avoided the cycle if you had all your equipment circulating and filtering the water.Many people will disagree but my 75 gallon was set up that way with deep sand bed with a little seeded sand and 130 lbs of base rock and 35 live rock.Ran all equipment for three weeks with no lights and then one week with lights.It does work.I would just add a couple corals and fish and keep a check a few days to be sure.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

The fact that the OP's tank is a 65G means that a pair of clowns wouldn't create enough ammonia to do themselves harm, yet there would still be enough to cycle the tank. In this case, why get something that you would need to get rid of down the road due to aggression issues, not to mention the fact that they are a pain to catch? I would be very cautious to add anything to a tank that has been sitting for four weeks with no ammonia source that would create a substantial bioload such as your typical damsels that are used for cycling. Just my opinion on the matter.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

imo its better than spending decent money on clowns that are gonna have to go through a cycle.. But the fishless method is preferred
Old 07-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Please explain how that is better, I don't understand. I agree with you that fishless is preferred, but if the OP's LFS can't hold onto the shrimp, fishless is out of the question.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Place the living shrimp in a 5 gallon tank or bucket with an airstone, then fishless cycle the tank, perhaps its in a dorment state and an ammonia source will jumpstart it again. Imo I feel that spending 8 bucks on a damsel and then giving it back to the lfs is worth it over spending 70-100 bucks on a clown pair that may potentially die due to cycling. Again just my opinion. The shrimp generate next to no bioload so they shouldn't start a cycle in the 5 gallon. .. There ya go, fishless cycle
Old 07-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Skype™ to amosora
Wooh so much info. I know what i did was beyond exta ordinary, forgv me coz don't know yet what to do (actually till now) just following the orders of my set-up guy & i am not aware of this site before. Okay, this is the case, 65gal was set-up... 1st to 5 days we got 10kg of live rock let them sit in a saltwater that was below the required salinity. During that period i was not able to get the parameters. Then 5th day i adjusted the salinity added 30kg of live rock. Lights were on since day one. On the 7th day we bought 2 damsels & cbs. After 2 days checked the parameters everything 0. Then every 2 days took 5-10gal out and replaced by new water (saltwater u/v filtered) Then almost in its 2nd week a friend of mine gave 5 nassarius 5 turbo snails, 1 cleaner shrimp & 1 fire shrimp. Since then i added 5ml of super bacteria every 2 days coz i'm afraid of messing up (guess messed up already).
Now, i cannot do fishless cycle coz i dont want them to be stressed out of the long travel & i dont want to kill them just because i don't know how to transfer them w/0 oxygen.
Therefore what can i do to correct my mistakes. I am closely monitoring the parameters coz i'm so scared that my ammonia, nitrate, & nitrites will show up all at the same time.
Note: i'm using saltwater u/v filtered. But the initial water (1 week) was a saltwater mix by teco.
Glad i'm with AA now.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to SHARPiE
You're definitley heading in the right direction!
Chin up and keep strong, ask plenty of questions!

Useful Acronyms
SHARPiE is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com