Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You're not gonna see a spike in all three at once, more than likely you will see a spike in ammonia, then later on a spike in trates. Don't worry about any mistakes you make we all do it. Best thing you can do is learn and ask questions..it'll save your fish a lot of stress now in terms of cycling, you could remove the inverts and put them in a separate container while you cycle (as I previously mentioned) and if you have enough room, the same for the damsels. Upside to this is you'll avoid putting your waterfriends through any cycling spikes, downside is its a couple seperate containers and a lil more physical labor. Orrr you could simply nurse the tank as a whole through cycling, this would entail obsessvie parameter testing and more than frequent pwc's ......I would suggest removing them to cycle but if you can't, go the second route

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Skype™ to amosora
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARPiE
You're definitley heading in the right direction!
Chin up and keep strong, ask plenty of questions!
Thanks for uplifting my spirit anyways, i'm still positive that we (fishes, inverts, & i) can make it through without casualty. Coz i can't take that they will soon be soo shocked due to cycling. As of now, whenever they see me, they jump out of their caves to meet me xcept for the nassarius & turbo lol

Old 07-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by negligent_inmate
You're not gonna see a spike in all three at once, more than likely you will see a spike in ammonia, then later on a spike in trates. Don't worry about any mistakes you make we all do it. Best thing you can do is learn and ask questions..it'll save your fish a lot of stress now in terms of cycling, you could remove the inverts and put them in a separate container while you cycle (as I previously mentioned) and if you have enough room, the same for the damsels. Upside to this is you'll avoid putting your waterfriends through any cycling spikes, downside is its a couple seperate containers and a lil more physical labor. Orrr you could simply nurse the tank as a whole through cycling, this would entail obsessvie parameter testing and more than frequent pwc's ......I would suggest removing them to cycle but if you can't, go the second route
Mmmmm.... This is a good suggestion. Is it not nessesary that the QT be cycled also?
If so, I try to catch them. But if they don't want, i'll nurse thier tank very diligently.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you split them up, and only if you can. Because other than the damsels, the inverts and such don't have but a tiny bio-load, therefore it shouldn't start a cycle in a qt. Once main tank is cycled, you can then acclimate and add everyone back in
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:25 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yikes, sorry inmate, looking back I think my posts may have beed a tad rude. What test kit are you using? If the tank has been set up that long with damsels in there for the majority of the time, you should be seeing something such as nitrates at the very least. Anyone else think so?
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:30 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to SHARPiE

You should be seeing some nitrates if you have live rock in there. My cycle with live rock only took a week... Others have experienced 2+ month cycles.

I had a bit of die off when I first added my rock in and only saw trace amounts of ammonia and nitrite and then they were gone and replaced with nitrates.

Useful Acronyms
SHARPiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:00 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksreef

How much live rock did you put in?
It is entirely possible that if you have one and a half to two lbs. of rock and some of it was live to start with you avoided the cycle if you had all your equipment circulating and filtering the water.Many people will disagree but my 75 gallon was set up that way with deep sand bed with a little seeded sand and 130 lbs of base rock and 35 live rock.Ran all equipment for three weeks with no lights and then one week with lights.It does work.I would just add a couple corals and fish and keep a check a few days to be sure.
Same here. Been doing it that way for years and never had a problem. I'd never heard of the dead shrimp method until I joined these forums. I guess I haven't heard of a lot of things though. Just one of those things that makes me go...huh?
Old 07-08-2011, 01:07 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thominil
Yikes, sorry inmate, looking back I think my posts may have beed a tad rude. What test kit are you using? If the tank has been set up that long with damsels in there for the majority of the time, you should be seeing something such as nitrates at the very least. Anyone else think so?
Using Api marine test kit. I'll post a pic of my test tomorrow. I
Old 07-08-2011, 01:11 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARPiE

You should be seeing some nitrates if you have live rock in there. My cycle with live rock only took a week... Others have experienced 2+ month cycles.

I had a bit of die off when I first added my rock in and only saw trace amounts of ammonia and nitrite and then they were gone and replaced with nitrates.
Yap that part i know i should be seing nitrate atleast but there was none as in 0. Now i'm growing small plants not moss or algae but plants. Such a weird start.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1886592510.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	43059  
Old 07-08-2011, 01:39 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to SHARPiE
The sign of algae means there is nitrate in there for them to feed off. There may only be traces of nitrates but they aren't appearing on your test as the aglae consumes it before it's present.

Useful Acronyms
SHARPiE is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com