My first 55G FOWLR BUILD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhemp34

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey WEll its finally kicking off. I've mixed the salt...I actually added way to much so my salinity was about 1.027 however I've got it back down to 1.23 (good Right) So I have not researched what i'm going to stock as i figured i'd have plenty of time as i do an cycle. To set up I used tap but dont worry once its up and going i'll do weekly PWC with RODI water from my LFS. How is .59 per gallon FW and 1.00 for SW.not bad.i think..

anyway lets start off saying i spent about 200 bucks I have about 35 lbs of lr //60 lbs or aragonitemax // and 13 lbs of base (dry rock). Is that Good or bad??

What filtration that i'm running today is a AquaClear 70 HOB that was switched from my FW. I'm planning on going with a canister but just taking my time. I also have 1 powerhead running but have two i'm replacing parts to put them in there.. I wasnt going to go with a protein skimmer but have a guy willing to sell me one for 40 bucks...he said its a 175$ p.s. but i forgot the name...

Well..I'll show u pics from Friday to Today..... FYI i was worried about losing sand since it was so fine..the bag said that its not absolutely mandatory to rinse..But i disagree after i didnt..i have a milk tank....but heres so shots.... follow along...we'll journey from FOWLR TO REEf (MAYBE) as I want some ANEMOME>>or as i call it (FLOWY stuff) But not sure what lights i can get...dont want any hard corals. just the anenome:n00b:

Everything sounds great so far. For filtration, LR and a skimmer is all you need.

First of Four..Sorry i have to do it this way.

So the first photos are of the Dry rock and first batch of Live rock..The LFS told me this was like top of the line LIVE ROCK...had lots of colors you'll tell me.

Attachments

• IMAG0150.jpg
    IMAG0150.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMAG0151.jpg
    IMAG0151.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMAG0154.jpg
    IMAG0154.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMAG0155.jpg
    IMAG0155.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 81
and some more

again this is more pics of my first batch and them sitting in the tank...no substrate when i got first batch...four pieces lr and 3 pieces of dry all for 130$? but was told the quality was out this world...the Third pic is of my second batch sorry it wasnt as good but a lot cheaper

Attachments

• IMAG0155.jpg
    IMAG0155.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMAG0157.jpg
    IMAG0157.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMAG0166.jpg
    IMAG0166.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 86
  • IMAG0161.jpg
    IMAG0161.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 74
this is cheaper liverock

ok i got these pieces for 4 bucks a lb plus i had a 20% off coupon with that LFS plus i had a store credit for a dead cichlid...i paid 55 bucks for 18lbs. its not as good as the first batch but def worth it at just a fraction over what i paid for the dry base at 2.99 lb paid 40 bucks for dry rock..I wish i could take it back..lol..but they were gorgeous pieces

Attachments

• IMAG0167.jpg
    IMAG0167.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMAG0168.jpg
    IMAG0168.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMAG0169.jpg
    IMAG0169.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMAG0171.jpg
    IMAG0171.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 89
Never believe the BAg

yea i rinsed 30lbs but was afraid my method i was losing a lot so i just poured the 2nd thirty into the tank...to my fault it got milky....the bag said it was ok...it was pre-rinsed and stuff but it wasnt...it was bad...lol...hopefully it'll get together

Attachments

• IMAG0172.jpg
    IMAG0172.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMAG0173.jpg
    IMAG0173.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 83
ok good i ws worried i was going to have to get new water....whats next guys...??? i'm set for a while my lfs saidi the the Liverock will cycle my tank and that i dont need to do a cheap damsel or raw shrimp.he said with as much live rock i got i should be ok....my tap ph is 8.1 thats super hard water i know my skin hates it too....lol..do you think my master fw kit will be ok for my saltwater too.?? i forgot to add i'm using a hydrometer and i love the results after i tested the salinity i took the sample to the lfs and their refractometer read the exact same......i may buy pure ammonia though...i'm not in any rush to cycle..let it take its course....lol...i need time to figure out what light i want to host anenome

yea i rinsed 30lbs but was afraid my method i was losing a lot so i just poured the 2nd thirty into the tank...to my fault it got milky....the bag said it was ok...it was pre-rinsed and stuff but it wasnt...it was bad...lol...hopefully it'll get together

Heh I learned the same thing. "No rinsing required!" yea right...

I've come to understand anemones can only really be kept under MH or a ton of PC or T5's.

(edit) I ran my DIY canister in the sump with fine filterfloss over night and it was crystal clear the next day.

well...i am justsuper confused because i was under the impression the hard corals such as clams and stuff req. M.Halides...I thought t5 HO would house anenome...i want a solid light any reccomendations for what i could get away with to do some simple corals possibly in the future i only want to update once and keep low light -med light stuff

well...i am justsuper confused because i was under the impression the hard corals such as clams and stuff req. M.Halides...I thought t5 HO would house anenome...i want a solid light any reccomendations for what i could get away with to do some simple corals possibly in the future i only want to update once and keep low light -med light stuff

I'm not an expert in anemones, so I'll let someone else help out there. I just know they need really strong lighting lol. I have PC bulbs on my tank and I think I can keep some mushrooms or soft corals.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but did you place your mixed saltwater and live rock and dry rock into the setup before you placed your sand in?

Depends on the anemone you are getting. I'd say something like a BTA should be ok on highest point in your aquarium, But im not so sure as i havent had t5's before. If your looking @ updating in the future, May aswell get a MH now. You dont need to go all out and get a fancy one that will cost you $500+.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but did you place your mixed saltwater and live rock and dry rock into the setup before you placed your sand in?

I mixed my water let it sit for 48 hours...then i bought some Live rock...i got my sand last because i was having a tuff time deciding wat i wanted. i then removed the live to a bucket while i added the sand thenput the rock back in....will be stacking rock tonight

Stay away from the heavy. solid pieces of rock with no nooks and crannies. Heavy doesn't mean good. You want surface area.

Try stacking some of that you have so that maybe 2 pieces hold up 1 to make like a bridge or swim thru area. Move'm around and try wedging them into each other such that plucking them with your thumb or so won't topple them.

Depends on the anemone you are getting. I'd say something like a BTA should be ok on highest point in your aquarium, But im not so sure as i havent had t5's before. If your looking @ updating in the future, May aswell get a MH now. You dont need to go all out and get a fancy one that will cost you $500+.

Well.. you can place it anywhere you want, but it will move to where it wants to live. Trust me, it's usually behind a rock somewhere in the back of your tank. I gave up trying to get mine to come to the front of the DT.

However, I've got a georgous Green BTA in my tank living under t5 lighting and it's been doing wonderful for 6+months now. I just have to stand behind the tank to see him or feed him :(

IME, You really can keep most anyhting under a good T5 fixture.

Back
Top Bottom