My first addition to my tank? What kind of clown is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcos77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently just added this clown fish to my tank. My first fish since my cycle finished. I don't know what kind of clown fish it is? I've had him now for 2 days and last night I noticed that the clownfish appeared to be scratching his face against my LR. In a quick motion he would rub himself against one of my LR. He does this once in awhile, should I be concerned? Does it have ick and what is the best way to treat it? I tested my water yesterday and my ph 8.2, ammonia is 0, nitrite 0, salinity 1.024 and nitrate 0. I acclimated him using a drip method over 2 hours.

Thanks

fish1.jpg

Looks like a juvenile sebae. The white on the tail should fade as he grows. Your tank is to young to support an anemone. I suggest you return it, also what lighting do you have?

It's important to research and identify each fish before you purchase them. Clownfish alone come in a wide range of sizes and temperments and it's important to know beforehand if they will be a good addition to your tank and potential tankmates.

Who mentioned anemone? An anemone isn't a requirement for any type of clown. And why is the recommendation always return it? It shound to me as if someone is parroting information instead of providing advice on the basis of knowledge and experience. The simple fact is this is a hobby of expereience and there is no better way to learn than reading and asking questions combined with firsthand experience. Of course no one should learn at the expense of the health of an animal but then again I am sure that's why the questions are asked in the first place.

Look at the fish closely. Are there any physical signs fo stress or injury? raised white spots? anything? Are there other tankmates? Any signs on them? Read the article about quarantining in the above article section and be preapred in case yout livestock needs to be treated. With proper feeding, care, and the learning experience I am sure you will eventually have a healthy happy tank.

Watch, learn, and read and I am confident that he will be fine. Patience is a golden virture even moreso in this hobby. That includes patience for those newer to the hobby who need help.

R-

I don't have an anemone yet, though I did upload a picture of one that I had in my previous 45 gallon reef tank. I've had the anemone for about 3 years before I moved and sold it. My friend that has it now says it has gotton really big.

Oh ok, yes I saw the pic. Said first fish, and first anemone so I assumed you were very new. Anyways 3 years.. seems like you knew what you were doing. Anyways great looking clown, and I hope he does well.

Where did you get the fish ? Some guy on the corner ?

Most LFS have books at or near the counter. Rule number one in the Aquarium fish keeping hobby know what you are getting and how to care for it before you bring it home.

The fish had whatever it has before you brought it home and now that there is something to scratch on it is scrathcing. Observing a fish at the store may have provided evidence of it rubbing on the substrate.

Did you ask the LFS~ how long they had the fish ?

8O

My female clarkii scratches all the time. My tangs do occasionally, never had ich or velvet. I think sometimes they just ich :mrgreen:

I had bought the fish from a reputable fish store that only specializes in salt water aquariums. I had spent about an hour in the store observing the fish and a few other types of clowns before purchasing him. I even had them feed it before purchasing. As for the scratching it has stoped doing it and appears to be doing great.

I agree with six line for a change :D
I have a huma and niger trigger for a month and sote had for 2 months
neither has ick or anything else to my knowledge, but my niger trigger scratches 2-3 times and hour. That's why her name is itchy!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom