My first anemone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fish need it. I have the aquatraders ones and while I really really like them alot of people give them bad reviews. If I had to do it over, I'd go with the fishneedit one. But only if price was my number one concern, I only got cheap lights cause I knew I was gonna be upgrading.

You do get what you pay for. ;-)

That's true lol. I'm going to get a fishneedit one then for the 40b that I'm setting up. Too bad they only go to 4 bulbs though.

As you have discovered natural sunlight is good for a lot of algae. The problem with sunlight is that most of these corals grow in places that get 12 hours of direct sunlight in relatively shallow areas of water (reefs). Depending on where your house is it probably isn't going to be enough. I live in the northeastern quadrant of north America. During the summer we get about 8 hours of good direct sunlight on the south side of our home but that's it. During the winter the sunlight is much weaker, not nearly enough to sustain coral. The windows are also a potential problem here because of the temperature fluctuations. Hot during the day, cold at night. Tropical reef fish don't deal well with that sort of fluctuation. There are folks experimenting, with some interestingly good results, with channeling skylights into their tanks through aluminum ducts. The only one I've ever seen pics of, I believe, was out of Melbourne AU. Very cool... But very expensive set-ups.

you can't keep corals and anemones with just sunlight coming through a window. even those tanks with solatubes over them have powerful artificial light supplementation.

My anemone is browning and looks like something is wrong with it. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom