Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2005, 09:45 PM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

[quote="Feron"]Sure hope so.. I take the 'critters' in my life seriously...
I'm not one to seek therapy over loss of a pet, but I don't take it lightly neither..

You keep that thought and you will be a fine addition to the team. I`m so tired of people not caring about the tank inhabitants wheather they live or die, I`ll just get another one.. That is what tells the difference between an aquarist and a hobbiest.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:45 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Feron Send a message via Yahoo to Feron
Ok, update of sorts..

The pump I have is a mag7, the skimmer is a pro clear aquatic systems?
I've got a UV sterilizer on it's way (altho I won't implement that puppy until a month or so after the LR gets in there and is done cycling and the bottom critters are introduced) a turbo-twist 36w and appropriate pump.

Just got done carving the wall apart to kind of inset the tank (I want to see it from both sides...office & kitchen).

So now I am plugging everything up..
drain to sump, skimmer in sump, skimmer to mag7, mag7 to return.
UV sterilizer will be pulling water out of the sump, uvin it and returning it to the chamber where the skimmer sits..
I figured since the flow through the steri is so much lower it shouldn't cause any problems that way....

sound ok?

Old 12-01-2005, 11:50 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

ahh and I forgot, I also put my heater stick (200w) in the sump in the first chamber beyond the bio ball thingies..
Old 12-01-2005, 04:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Changed things... on more thought I figure that mag7 might cause the skimmer to implode or something... or simply ruin it's process...added a tube to put the skimmed water back through the wet dry, and the mag7 stands on it's own in the sump to pump out water... I guess finding a good balance of water is key here or the mag7 could potentially keep the skimmer from doing it's job...space is limited (especially since the stand has drawers and the skimmer is tall) so I might have to get creative with another small pump before the main return pump going to a small tank.box just for the skimmer...

<shrug> live and learn... long time before any specimens are introduced..
Old 12-01-2005, 09:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feron
Changed things... on more thought I figure that mag7 might cause the skimmer to implode or something... or simply ruin it's process...added a tube to put the skimmed water back through the wet dry, and the mag7 stands on it's own in the sump to pump out water... I guess finding a good balance of water is key here or the mag7 could potentially keep the skimmer from doing it's job...space is limited (especially since the stand has drawers and the skimmer is tall) so I might have to get creative with another small pump before the main return pump going to a small tank.box just for the skimmer...

<shrug> live and learn... long time before any specimens are introduced..
Sounds good! Skimmers usualy need big pumps, but don't actually put a lot of water through them (its more for the pressure to drive them). They're usualy pumped seperately and simply drain back into their source water from there.

Let us know what you get the tank settled in the wall and get some water flowing through it.

Have you thought about possible stocking lists yet? It helps to get some ideas on which fish/inverts you'd like to keep in your tank, make sure they're all compatible, and figure out the correct order to add them. We can help suggest things and figure out problems as well

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Going to be a busy weekend.. I plan to have the wall all done tomorrow, and the first water test sunday..
The RO/DI unit I ordered will be here next week, so I plan on getting the water all set be end of week next week.
Then it's 125 lbs of 50/50 rock (LR/base).
I went with the tahitian black moon sand, as well.. I like the black, and I figure it'll be close even with fish poo.
After the cycle, I plan on planting various ocean plants - even if I know they'll get eaten. I had also thought about getting some feeder shrip and see if they'd multiply if left in the tank without predators.
Then comes the cleaning crew - hermits, turbo snails, tiger tail cuke, maybe a slug ans a couple stars...and of course, the cleaner shrimp (2 or 3 skunks probably at first).
I'd also like a blue lobster.. I read they will get along ok.. I can't believe how many snails and turbos they recommend for this size tank.. but I imagine the hermits will help keep the snails population in check.
From there we get into the fish.
Clowns, blue goby, yellowtail damsel, flame/longnose hawk, foxface lo,
purple firefish, dartfish..
Those are all possibles...I have some more 'advanced fish' for later on down the line..no rush..
Those fish 'should' all play well with themselves and the cleaners...with the exception of the hawkfish I guess...they might eat the shrimp if I don't let the shrimp grow a bit first.
It's kind of nerve racking to find out my tank is 'limited to' 18" of fish...
that's not that many fish..
I figure that if I have only one larger fish I might be able to exceed the 'rule of thumb' since I have the uv sterilizer (and have thought about adding an ozone thing). That and the plants and lr and what not.. I figure I can get a way with a bunch of small fish..

All in time tho, no rush..
No corals tho.. not yet anyhow
Old 12-02-2005, 10:43 PM   #17
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You are right no rush. I`ve been building my reef tank for eight years now

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:16 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree, this site is awesome. People here are very helpful.

One experience from a SW beginner myself: the best decision I made when setting up was to buy LR from established systems. Not only was it cheaper (<$2/gal instead of >$4/gal), but since it went from tank to tank in under an hour, there was virtually no die-off. That meant the biological filter was established, so I did not have to go through a long cycle (any cycle, in fact). The rock also came with tons of macro-life, including cool inverts like a pistol shrimp that I didn't discover for a month.

So, if you can manage to find someone in your area selling large quantities of LR from their reef for FOWLR tank, I heartily recommend purchasing.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:33 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd vote against the yellowtail perhaps. They get mean And are basicly impossible to get out of a tank once they go in (quick ones they are)

Imo, the 100 snails or so they sell in kits is way overboard. Many might starve over time as the tank matures. I probably have 20 in my 55g (until the astreas start falling off the glass - wish they could right themselves). Its a good idea to get some variety in snails though, such as turbos and astreas, along with nassarius and cerith snails. Perhaps a fighting conch too.

I'd watch out for sand sifting stars as well. They may not be able to find enough food over time.

Watch out for the hawkfish, sometimes hey find shrimp ultra tasty (like the live ones in your tank )

Saltwater has a much lower fish density, but much more interesting fish. They also tend to be much more territorial in nature, which along with reduced oxygen soluability on saltwater, leads to less fish per aquarium. Note that I'd consider some fish "free", such as the adorable clown gobies, as long as you add one.

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 06:58 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to azn_fishy55
I think the hawkfish will have the opportunity to eat the shrimp even if it grows a little, the hawkfish might tear the shrimp to pieces.The hawkfish will also eat smaller fish too.I reccomend the dartfish becuae they are really cool fish,I used to have one and it would pop in and out of it hole, they are really colorful fish too.I don't think you should go over the limit with the SW fish capacity, it can turn into disasterous result on water quality.Damselfish are very aggresive and I don''t really like them, so I suggest using SW mollies instead of damsels becuase they are more colorful and less aggressive.One more thing is to change the bio-balls in your sump into some other media such as live rock rubble becuase as I have read, bio-balls eventually cause nitrates in the tank to rise.HTH

Tags
flow, glass, megaflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com