Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-28-2005, 05:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Feron Send a message via Yahoo to Feron
My first aquarium...All-Glass 90g with Megaflow - need help!

I'm kinda embarassed about coming looking for help, but I can't seem to find much in the way of a step by step guide (yet, still looking!).

Ok, the deal is -
I was given a very nice present for my 30th birthday -
90g standard All-glass (48x18x24) reef-ready tank.
Megaflow sump(?) - big box with blue balls and an open area beyond a spongey filter pad.
A device that looks very similar to a blender (has a pump attached tot he bottom.. I'm assuming this is a skimmer that creates a vaccuum and sucks the solid waste from the water.
An additional pump.
Tubing/drain&return kit/heater stick
Hood lamps/top/stand etc

Ok, my problem is.. there's no instructions...Couple of diagrams for the pipes and a parts list for the skimmer thingy.
I've done all the easy stuff, but that was all no brainer.

My biggest two questions:
The skimmer - seems like it fits perfectly inside the sump box so:
Water comes down the drain, goes into top of the box with the balls, the skimmer sits in the open area, pulling water through the balls, churns the water, additional pump pulls water from skimmer outtake and pushes it out the return. - Is that right?

Second question -
This heater rod thing.. I assume it's intended to go inside the tank itself, but can it be used in the skimmer side of the sump (if what I thought previously is somewhat on the mark)?

I know this is a large commitment and can take a very long time to do properly, I just want to do it well and myself (I called an aquarium store and they want to charge a 100 bucks an hr to do all this stuff, when I know it's not difficult, just new to me..)

Surely appreciate any tips/help..

Thanks

Old 11-28-2005, 07:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd suggest picking up some books first.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...&link_code=as1

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...&link_code=as1

Both of these are very good books. Your local library probably has them as well.

The next step is, plan what you want to do with your aquarium. Figure out what fish and what corals/harder inverts (if any) you wish to keep. Let us know and we can recommend certain setups. Using live rock as a filtration mechanism is strongly suggested. Say no to under-gravel filtration, and wet/dry filtration unless you do not wish to have any rocks in your aquarium.

Your skimmer needs to sit in the sump. It moves its own water, but not much. The second pump is the return pump, which moves the water back through the tank.

Yes, the heater can be used in the sump.

Also see the articles here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showfaq.php?fldAuto=2

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

ahhhh thank you.. I figured I had it right (mainly cause all the tubing they supplied seemingly only worked out well that way...lucky I guess).
Appreciate the heater part too..

I've actually been reading up on things quite a bit the past few days, I already have viewed several pages on the state of the water and different specimen communities that would be good for a beginner like me.

At first I was very much going to go with a freshwater because of my inexperience. I was of the old sort of mentality that a marine tank would be next to impossible for a newbie to take care of, but through many sites (this one included..incredible find!) I think I can manage a fish only marine tank if I just be patient and go slow, following the wealth of knowledge provided.

I want my critters to be healthy and happy, certainly not lose one or all.
Ahh and I plan to use only dead coral as decoration, from what I read the ecosytem is hard to keep in balance otherwise (for someone like myself) so my current setup should do the job as long as I use/maintain it all properly.
Reef will be something I try after a couple of years of fish only..
Thank you for your response, it really helps.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
Without a pic and name/model of the sump it is pretty hard to help. I suggest going to the LFS where it was purchased for some help in set up. They can walk you through visually and it would be a great help. As for starting out with SW...if you go slow and do your research, there is no reason you can not be successful. Get some good books and start reading. Keep stopping by here for answers to your questions. Deciding you want a SW tank is just the beginning...
Old 11-28-2005, 10:32 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Good luck We are here to help you. Like they said do some reading to decide the 100 questions you`ll have. Like I said write if you dont understand

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the warm welcome!!
I know the following pictures arn't the best.. I'd need to pull it all out and photo each piece individually (which I can do, was hoping they'd be somewhat recognizable).
Old 11-28-2005, 11:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Whew, that worked I spose..

I can say I learn by leaps and bounds about this whole thing every day, and certainly keep adding to the realization to take it nice and slow and build a world, not just rush out and grab whatever seems cool/nice and just hope for the best..

Tonight's realization was the importance/wonder of live rock and how it will greatly benefit the ecosystem I would like to build..
Not really so much into having a reef tank per-se, but the benefits of any live rock seem to greatly outweigh a system without it.
Far better then seed fish I imagine (as a starting point..a new tank seems perfect for live rock and building an ecosystem)... that and I've sort of got the goal of no death in the tank...if something happens along the way 'because', so be it. I'm going to try my hardest to make sure a death is natural and not by my hand (my pets are my kids...).

I already have a couple of dogs, and know how much tlc they require to keep healthy happy and well adjusted.. I am learning that marine life is just as fragile and needy...
(at least they won't chew up the couch)

I do sort of have a question on live rock... I know I'm not ready to order/go buy some, but I have a 90g tank.. most places I can reference at this hour (online) list quantities either very small (I've read figures from 1-1.75lbs to up to 2.5 lbs per g of rock), 20-25 or much higher.
I was thinking that if I went with the live rock in a new tank, 20-25 would be a good start and wouldn't cause any problems all around.. of course, I know nothing from experience, only reading...

After reading much in many places, this link has a clear cut example (no doubt one methodolgy?) of what I'm reading.. I hope it is a well thought out piece..

http://aquarium.union.rpi.edu/setup.html
Old 11-28-2005, 11:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

For maximum benefit, the recommended amount is 1-1.5lbs PER gallon of aquarium water. In your case, 90lbs-135lbs. You can run with less though, just may need supplamental filtration for heavier bioloads.

What you can also do it buy 70 lbs of cheap, dead, dry baserock (from various vendors - make sure its either calcium based or of marine origin), and seed your system with 20-40lbs of liverock. The baserock will soon become live as well.

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:26 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It sounds like you well on your way to being someone who will take care of your tankmates.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sure hope so.. I take the 'critters' in my life seriously...
I'm not one to seek therapy over loss of a pet, but I don't take it lightly neither..
Biggest issue now is the matter of community in my water..
Of course, like anyone new.. I want it all.. Bursts your bubble to find out seahorses are food or killed or whatever by most anything... puffers eat most anything...cukes are...deadly..sort of... etc etc etc...
I just want a very well balanced and diverse tank with lots of interest...
Time is fortunatly on my side (and my wallet thanks me for that notion..)

Any references to a well balanced community are well received (and thanks to all the posts here I have read about natural foods and bottom life and rocks and and and and...what a wealth...)

You guys should sell a book that has a gold trimmed leather cover and nothing but a link to here in the one and only page...makes alot of other references look like...shrimp food...

Tags
flow, glass, megaflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com