Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

That sounds like a very good idea.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:23 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Great Thanks... You been a great help tonight... Thanks

Old 09-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey, if you don't mind Tank I am going to post this in here to avoid spaming the board with a similar question.

I started my tank up three weeks ago and I had an ammonia and a nitrite spike within the first week. Right now ammonia and and nitite are zero and nitrates are average. I started the cycle using 50lbs of LR in a 65gal tank, and while I have heard doing so can yeild an instant cycle I want to be sure before adding fish.

Will adding a shimp now to test hurt anything? I assume if my cycle is complete I won't see an ammonia spike since the bacteria will suck it up, and if not I know I didn't cycle. Does this make sense?
Old 09-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I don't mind Patroklos I would love if everyone with similar question post here.... That way we can get as many questions answer and get a variety of different cycle experiences all packed into one Thread....

and By the Way I notice this morning as i have my Power head running my shrimp is gone... I take it, it has completely decomposed I have not checked reading yet but I will once I get out of work today.... I had my shrimp in a mesh bag( Panty Hose) and I only see just a slight bit of it? Is cycle already over? I hope not....
Old 09-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patroklos View Post
I started my tank up three weeks ago and I had an ammonia and a nitrite spike within the first week. Right now ammonia and and nitite are zero and nitrates are average. I started the cycle using 50lbs of LR in a 65gal tank, and while I have heard doing so can yeild an instant cycle I want to be sure before adding fish.

Will adding a shimp now to test hurt anything? I assume if my cycle is complete I won't see an ammonia spike since the bacteria will suck it up, and if not I know I didn't cycle. Does this make sense?
If you saw an ammonia/nitrite spike, and they're both at zero now, then your cycle is complete and you're good to add a single fish. Adding a shrimp at this point won't hurt anything - all it will do is elevate your nitrates. But you shouldn't see any ammonia or nitrites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank2379
and By the Way I notice this morning as i have my Power head running my shrimp is gone... I take it, it has completely decomposed I have not checked reading yet but I will once I get out of work today.... I had my shrimp in a mesh bag( Panty Hose) and I only see just a slight bit of it? Is cycle already over? I hope not....
The cycle is over if the ammonia and nitrite test zero. The shrimp disintegrating doesn't have anything to do with it.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Cool

I took a reading today and it looks like my ammonia went down and my PH level went down....

Ammonia 0.0PPM
Nitrate 0.0PPM
Nitrite 0.0PPM
PH 7.8
SG 1.023
Water Temp 79.5

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:31 PM   #17
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`m thinking Tank it`s too early that would only be about a week. You didnt by any chance use already cured LR did you? You might not see much of a cycle. Was it already in a holding tank when you got it?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Yeah it was already cured rock it was from an established Tank for 3 years.... The guys I got the LR from lived about 10 minutes away from my house and I probably got about 50LBs of LR from him already cured..... I might of did something wrong then..... My critters are doing OK and there running around all over the place I put in the Power head in last night and it looks like even more life kicked in because everything looks so happy...... Some of my LR is spotted white but looks like it all coming back to it natural state.....
Old 09-04-2008, 09:04 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Oh and also my sand starting to turn little brown.....
Old 09-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
It sounds like your tank has completed the cycle. It is still a little strange that you are not seeing nitrAtes. Can you run some of your water to your LFS and get them to double check for you?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com