My First Cycle Readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You will have to test your water. When you start getting nitrAtes you should do a PWC. You will really have to figure out a schedule based on your tank. Some folks do a PWC every two weeks. Some, once a month. I do mine 1 a month, but I have a very small bioload in my 55 (2 fish).

Well I was planning on adding about 4 or 5 fish in my FOWLR 2 clowns 1 yellow tang 1 algae blennie, some more critter since mine where with the LR i might add a few more especially snails I only have one.... and i am going to see on 1 coral beauty or flame angel seen i am not doing coral yet when I do I will sell off the Dawf Angels but thats not for sure yet, I am still going to wait on getting them until my levels are good first....

oh just to add I am using regular tap water in our water system they add flouride in our water systems no ammonia or cholrine....

I work in a county water dept and I can pretty well guarantee that they are adding ammonia and chlorine. Not all water treatment plants are the same but those two are basically a must. I have a link I want to send you but it`s at home. I`ll send it tonite.

I work in a county water dept and I can pretty well guarantee that they are adding ammonia and chlorine. Not all water treatment plants are the same but those two are basically a must. I have a link I want to send you but it`s at home. I`ll send it tonite.

Nice Thanks...

You are on the right track, but you need to look at the minimum tank size requirement.
Pick some fish the you are interested in (hint, no tangs) and post up, we can go from there.

I have spent hours searching for fish that will thrive in a 46gallon 3' long tank and there really isn't much Its amazing how much more fish you can have in a 4' or 5' long tank because of the swimming room. Size of my tank was a big deciding factor to go Reef because most FOWLR fish or at least the cool ones IMO need a 100g or larger tank. Granted there are some that do ok in a 75g because its 4' long I believe. I have a clownfish, 3-stripe damsel,blue devil damsel, orange spot goby,Pistol shrimp,Cleaner shrimp, fromia milleporella red starfish(may be mispelled) 2 fighting conches and 2 turbo snails, 5 astrea, and a bunch of nassarius snails-too many to count. There are other options but not many. The invertabrates and corals are the star attractions really.

My 70g tank is on day 19. The NH3 is 0. The NO2 is between .8 and 1.6 and the NO3 is 20 - 50. These levels have not changed in over 1 week. The LFS guy says I should not have NO2 and NO3 at the same time. Is this accurate? Should I do a PWC or wait longer?
I have 80 lbs of base rock and one piece of LR. I have a 6" DSB of 2" each of crushed coral, arragonite and LS.
Any suggestions? - Even if the suggestion is to be patient. Thanks.

My 70g tank is on day 19. The NH3 is 0. The NO2 is between .8 and 1.6 and the NO3 is 20 - 50. These levels have not changed in over 1 week. The LFS guy says I should not have NO2 and NO3 at the same time. Is this accurate? Should I do a PWC or wait longer?
I have 80 lbs of base rock and one piece of LR. I have a 6" DSB of 2" each of crushed coral, arragonite and LS.
Any suggestions? - Even if the suggestion is to be patient. Thanks.
You should start another post for this question probably but it sounds like you are still cylcing but near the cycles end.

You should start another post for this question probably but it sounds like you are still cylcing but near the cycles end.

It's all good post as many cycle questions in this thread as possible... That why we get everyone experience packed into one Thread..... oh and I don't mind everyone posting your thoughts here.... Just trying to cut down the cycling questions everyone has for all our Moderators and Mentors... everyone is asking the same questions with different posting that are the same..... This could be the SW cycling thread.... :)

Last edited:
It looks like you`re halfway there. You`ll see ammonia go up and then down and then you`ll see nitrites go up then down and then you`ll have nitrates go up. When your ammonia and nitrites are at 0 then you can do a PWC. As I mentioned you are almost there lindsaylaw. As long as Tank the original OP does not mind we`ll leave it here.

Thanks for letting me keep my question on this thread, Tank. I thought it would be helpful for the future and also I can prove that I actually read what has been said before.
"Half-way there" sounds a lot better than about 3 weeks to go! A "half-full" rather than "half-empty" perspective, to be sure!

Thanks for letting me keep my question on this thread, Tank. I thought it would be helpful for the future and also I can prove that I actually read what has been said before.
"Half-way there" sounds a lot better than about 3 weeks to go! A "half-full" rather than "half-empty" perspective, to be sure!

NP.... I am just as new as you are and i'm still learning... It's just good to get different views of others peoples cycling experience it just helps us grow with our foundly new hobby....:D

Alright I check my readings yesterday an nothing has change... Seeing that coraline is growing great on my rock I feel as if everything should be ok to add fish( and I even when down to the LFS for the second time to check my readings) and everything was normal.... I did a water change and today about a few minutes ago I tested my Water Parimeters and again everything check out Normal..... Again.... I'm I ready to add fishies?

If you are getting 0 ammonia and nitrites and did a PWC I would think you should be OK.

Back
Top Bottom